Field, Activity, Is that all?

There really isn't a "Class A" uniform in Boy Scouts and nothing close to a "Dress" uniform (Unless you count the professional blazer and slacks). The new uniform is about the same as a BDU. The ODL Uniform is close to a "Class B" service uniform.

So what would you call the poly/wool trousers with the poly/wool shirt? This is still about the same as the "Class B" service uniform although a set up from the ODL. But in Boy Scouts it really would not be a Field Uniform. My son and I are considering getting sets for COHs and the like.

Having worked in Supply back in the day, there were only 3 types of uniforms issued by National that I know of, and I'm capping them for emphaisis. The FIELD UNIFORM when I worked Supply was the ODL and it came in 3 varieties: poly-cotton blend, 100% cotten, and a poly-wool blend. No matter what variety you wore, it was considered a Field Uniform. Today the Field Uniform is the new Centennial Uniform, and it is now offered in 3 varieties: 100% supplex, poly-cotton and now the wool blend. This uniform is referred to by most people as the "Class A," and the term is starting to catch on with national.

The next uniform is the DRESS UNIFORM, and it is still current today. That is the blue blazer, gray trousers, white shirt, universal emblem and the professional tie (thankfully it's no longer the "barber shop" tie.) While you see mostly professionals in it, it can be worn anyone, including Cubs, Scouts, and Venturers. Medals and OA sash are authorized for wear with it too, but let's not discusss the OA sash here, as that is another topic."

The third uniform that national came out with was the ACTIVITY UNIFORM that consisted of khaki shorts, white socks, and a polo shirt based upon what type of Scout you were: Boy Scouts wore red polos, Varsity Scouts wore khaki polos, and those Boy Scouts in a troop's Venture Crew wore maroon shirts (this was prior to VENTURING). This uniform was released approx. 1989- 1999, was not very popular and was discontinued.

Personally I wouldn't call the ODLs a "Class B" as most folks consider a "class B" some type of Scout t-shirt combo, either with uniform socks, belt and short/pants ( usually those troops with a uniform culture) or jeans (for those without)

When I refered to the "'Class B' service uniform" I was refering to the military designation. That uniform is slacks, shirt, leather shoes and belt w/ no jacket or tie. Approximately the new wool blend or the ODL w/o teh cargo pockets.

Should I be the one to point out that the BSA is not the military, so it's ok for the terminology to be different, and kind of confusing to try to equate the two?

Nah, I'll let someone else do that.

In our troop (notice how cleverly I avoid the "my troop"/"troop I serve" argument), "Class A" is just a synonym for "the uniform." What the SM is really doing when he says "Class A" to the Scouts is reminding them that their hat, neckerchief and Scout belt are part of the uniform -- and Scout socks if you've got 'em.(This message has been edited by njcubscouter)

Yes, I understand all that. Which are reasons why we should not refer to the Field Uniform as "Class A" nor the Activity Uniform as "Class B". It is an attempt to refect the military (which we are trying to avoid) and gets the designations wrong to boot.