The Final Word: CS Leader Unit Numbers

I keep seeing people saying CS leaders wear the red numbers on the Centennial shirt, but what I haven't seen is something from BSA that says so, clearly and unambiguously. And one catalog sheet that says so isn't clear and unambiguous. I have a uniform inspection sheet with a model wearing a Centennial uniform, a Cubmaster patch, green numbers and a Wolf cap--an "illegal" combination (only Den Leaders wear the den cap as adults), so I don't trust Scoutstuff.org.

So, who has a link? "I heard it at..." won't do.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, honestly, none of the folks workin' in those offices has the time to do the detailed cross-referencing of every little thing that seems to delight the fancy of some volunteers.

If we had to pay for that level of continuity editing da materials and da uniform would be even more expensive, eh?

BSA has thousands of documents, and supply has thousands of items with tight manufacturin' deadlines and even tighter promo/catalog deadlines. Movies with $100 million budgets make continuity errors all the time. What do yeh want for $15 a year?

Don't sweat the small stuff. Sew on whichever color number yeh want, and spend your time worryin' about how to make your next den or pack meeting top notch for the boys.

B

The 2009-2010 Insignia Guide, page 9, Cub Scout and Webelos Scout insignia

Quote: "Unit number, cloth, white on red, [part numbers], Cub Scout and Cub Scout leader"

What are all the other leaders in the pack doing? I think the simplest thing would be to go along with the crowd on this one.

I think it's fine to ask what the official answer is, but I wouldn't worry too much about it from a practical point of view. At uniform inspection time I could never find another leader with a completely correct uniform, and yet they were all successfully fulfilling their positions.

Yep ALL CSs and their leaders wear red on White numbers. It sasy it in the insignia guide and

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/images/pdfs/Male_Leader_Checklsit.pdf

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/images/pdfs/Male_Leader_Scout.pdf

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/images/pdfs/Female_Leader_Checklist.pdf

Yes there is major problems with someof the literature. While someone commented what do you expect for $15/year, once upon a time the BSA had methods that avoided these problems, one of which was using specific group of volunteers in the field to review literature before publication

Well, that's pretty clear.

I don't quite get the reasoning though. The red numbers on the centennial shirt just look wrong. If it's because the boys wear red numbers, well, the boys also wear a blue shirt.

My cubmaster & I agree though--since it was once a "legal" combination, it still is.

"I don't quite get the reasoning though. The red numbers on the centennial shirt just look wrong. If it's because the boys wear red numbers, well, the boys also wear a blue shirt."

Don't worry, some of us felt the same thing. And the lack of consistant info from National didn't help...

I personally would like to see the red and whites return for ALL program areas.

As someone stated there has been a lack of guidance and confusion onthe national level, heck just look at p. 14 of the current catalog to see the Web. in tan and green numbers. And I was royally ticked off after buying the tan and green numbers and trained strip and found out a week later that they were going to tan and red numbers, and then a week or two after that goign back to tan and red numbers and trained strip. I went ahead and got another set sicne #1 i'll be with cubs for a LONG time and #2 I needed to set the example.

Way my unit is handling the situation is simple: you keep the numbers you have on,and advising those who get new uniforms to get the R/Ws.

The whole number fiasco was a terrible roll-out from National.

Eagle92 and I commented at length on this in the spring when for a short period of time there were pictures of Cub Leaders with tan and red numbers.

All those registered to a Cub Pack should wear red numerals regardless of uniform color and all those registered to a Scout Troop should wear tan numerals with both the Centennial and ODL uniform.

I believe as leaders we should set the correct example as the situation will invariably arise that Little Joey has the incorrect color numeral because his Mom bought what she saw on Mr. Cub Master's incorrect uniform.(This message has been edited by cimarron8889)

Wait... TAN and red numbers? Not white? These I have not seen.

Will Little Joey be wearing a tan shirt since that's what his Cub leader is wearing?

I'm really not trying to be argumentative (well, maybe just a little ;) ) just trying to make sense of the policy.

IM,

YEP Tan and reds. For about 1-2 weeks in April, literature from national showed CS leaders in red numbers on a tan background. These were never produced to my knowledge. IF so I want soem as they would eb a collector's item :)

I was ticked in that I heard a lot of stuff out there: CS leaders wear edn adn whies, wear tan and reds, wore tan and greens ad nauseum. I even called my old Scout shop and they had no clue. And this was nationally owned scout shop who had no clue and were complaining about the lack of directions form HQ. So I went ahead and bought the tan and green numbers and trained strip based upon the advice from them. And I was ticked b/c I now had to buy yet another set of patches.

As someone else said, i eventually succumbed to buying a new set of numbers an the newest red and tan trained strip, the one that fits on the smokes pocket that is meant to be worn by CS leaders. Funny there is no mention if Venturing leaders can wear it too, I did it for two reasons.

First and foremost I guessed at the confusion this has caused, and it came to pass, and felt that I better get the uniform right now, especially since I will be with the pack for 10 years, and two, #2 I got the centennial CSP, might as well redoe the entire sleeve.

Yes it has casued alot of confusion, and anger among leaders and parents. We are letting folks be as last year's new leaders, and this years Webelos IIs were told to get the tan and greens. Heck ther is still literature from national with Webelos and CS leaders in tan and green numbers. Just look at the cnew catalog, and one of the female leader uniform sheets.

EDIT I make a joke out of the situation now that my anger has subsided and so has a bunchof other leaders and parents. Since I am one for vintage uniforms, we are saying that everyone with the tan and green numbers is in a "vintage 2008 uniform" LOL(This message has been edited by eagle92)

• 1 month later...

IS,

Welcome to the forums. Yep you will be seeing alot of that you saw thsi weekend since national screwed up royally on this matter. But as stated elsewhere, once official uniform, always official uniform, and the literature did at one time say A) you can mix and match uniform items from the ODL uniform with the Centennial uniform and vice-versa and B) national did produce literature with CS leaders wearing the tan and green insignia, especially sicne for approx. 10 months there were NO red and tan trained strips to be found.