The color red scares the animals

I was in our Scout shop a couple of weeks ago purchasing a few uniform items. Woman working there is an old friend and we were talking about the new uniforms and the disappearance of red. She said the red color was being removed/replaced because it had been determined that the color red scares wildlife. I've searched the Internet to find verification of this, but haven't found anything. Does anyone know if this really was one of the reasons for the decision to remove the red shoulder loops, red in patches, red-topped socks, etc.?

Seems to me if the folks at National were so worried about scaring animals, they'd be more concerned about a bunch of teen-aged boys tromping through the woods than a few red numbers and a trained strip.

C'mon, everyone kows that the Matador (a stupid car of the 70's) flapping a red cape infuriates a bull, (that an the half dozen or so mini-spears stuck in uner his skin)

I thought it was pretty conclusive that most animls are color blind anyway

On the other hand, if a parol is stealthy enough to sneak up on the citizens of the brush, I would think the BSA would want to put plenty of red n the uniform to alert the animals and prevent harrasment as it is(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Sigh.

Mythbusters addressed the bulls and red capes story.

Bulls are color blind, and are attacted to movement, NOT color.

Cripes & Bloods are 2 major gangs and have been around for, oh, 10-20 years? Cripes use blue (uh oh, guess the cub scouts need to change their uniform), and Bloods red. But what about the Guardian Angels and their red berets???

Of course Curtis Sliwa and his Guardian Angels spelled doom for the coolest scouting accessory of all times, the red beret, it totally rocks man

On the other hand, I am sure that the red tabs on the old uniform and red troop numbers could easily be mistaken for gang markings. Along those lines, should not there be a National Directive to not wear red neckerchiefs anymore? I would hate to think the red on the Eagle Ribbon be mistaken as a gang related color, perhaps the Eagle medal should be redesigned with a slate grey ribbon, I think thats prety nondescript. To tink of the uniform pants I wore in the 60's with the red piping, I was a gangsta' before anyone knew what they were, talk about being in the cutting edge!

Trust me a Scout uniform will NOT be mistaken for a gang outfit. Now a police uniform... that's a different story! Trust me don't wear a Scout uniform in the New Orleans Housing Authority. Did that 13 years ago when I and a fellow staff member had to drop off a "scout" home.

Shortridge,

Yes NOPD also wore blue uniforms. But my friend and I were being watched, and he told me someone did have their handgun out. I didn't see it, but I saw everyone watching us. One of my more interesting times in Scouting.

Somehow I'm led to believe that with the noise the average scout troop makes in the woods, no animal in it's right mind would ever get close enough to see that little red/white numeral on the scout's sleeve. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

But I have to admit that the scout store person did say one of the dumbest things I've heard in a long time.

Stosh

"But I have to admit that the scout store person did say one of the dumbest things I've heard in a long time."

Well, that could probably be a thread in its own right: the dumbest thing said by a scout store person. Or scouting profession.

(you figure the volunteers, because we've volunteers, would be less often correct as compared to the people being paid to do this. But I guess since most of us are passionate about it, its the other way around...)