The three new knots

Wow!!!!! I guess "a scout is thrifty" doesn't come into play anymore. When I looked, the Philmont Knot was already up to 34.00 +.

Why would someone pay those prices when they can be had for about 1.50 at the scout shop if you've met all the requirements. That said, I find it hard to believe anyone has completed all the Philmont Knot requirements so far, but then again I hope we're not compromising "a scout is honest" thang!!!!

Why? Because you find really stupid people buying and selling things on ebay.

A friend bought a new roll of quarters ($10 face value) for $2 plus $3 shipping.

I've seen current CSPs go for over $10.

MP3 players that can be bought at Best Buy for $35 have sold on ebay for $50 or more.

ebay gives new meaning to "buyer beware" and adds "seller beware".

Oh GW!!!!!! There I go again assuming things. I just assumed that the kinda' folks who would have earned these knots would be the folks that would be purchasing them. That said, I assumed they wouldn't be stupid but I guess I've been proven wrong.

This sort of activity on ebay has always baffled me. The savvy collector would know that the can be bought at the Scout shop for $1.50. Even if his local shop won't sell them over the counter, it isn't that difficult to find a friend who can get them for you.

If you've earned the award and done the paperwork you're usually given one with your certificate and if you really need more (I do have four shirts) and the scout shop isn't close by, you can ask your DE or commissioner to get one for you on his next trek to the Scout Shop. Even if you're 100 miles away from the Scout Shop, you can ask them to mail it to you.

So who would pay $35 for a $1.50 patch? Someone who earned it? Probably not. Someone who hasn't earned it but wants to put it on his uniform? Not likely either because he'd probably know enough to get it from the Scout Shop or from someone with access.

So who remains?

GW is right. There's lots of morons out there who pay more than retail for stuff. I guess they get caught up in the auction.

However, for the savvy shopper, Ebay can be a treasure trove of good deals.

I've bought hundreds of things off it and have never been disappointed.

I also have sold many things and am amazed what some people will pay.

I bought a radio control helicopter for $200, flew it for a few months (with a few crashes), and sold it back on Ebay for $250, even after fully disclosing the used condition. I was hoping to get just $100 for it.

OK, Been to PTC Seen the PTC knot....seen the NESA life member knot, even the new commisioners knot but what the heck is a "Speakers bureau" knot?? take a look at item 140261133288 on ebay. What is the black and gold knot?

BSA is getting so many knots they are going to need a Knot Division to keep track of them all.

I for one am disgusted with the quality of BSA patches lately. These illustrate what I am talking about...cut edge cloth, looks very amateurish. What happened to the old "rolled edge" knots and patches of the "good ole days". Are they really that much more expensive? These look like they were made by 10 year olds in Bangladesh...hmmmmm.

" I for one am disgusted with the quality of BSA patches lately. These illustrate what I am talking about...cut edge cloth, looks very amateurish. What happened to the old "rolled edge" knots and patches of the "good ole days". Are they really that much more expensive? These look like they were made by 10 year olds in Bangladesh...hmmmmm. "

I agree that the main patches that we're required to have (e.g., rank, unit, etc.) are not of the highest quality. We've been much more happy with the non-BSA companies that we've purchased our all-in-one Unit patch and Temporary patches from over the past year. They all have coated backs and the edging is consistent with very few cables.

• 1 month later...

I've seen these three new knots and have seen the requirements for the NESA life member. I can not, however find the requirements for the other two. Any help on a link or a list. Just curious as to what is new in all areas of scouting.

Thanks

The speakers knot is basically for a bunch of guys who are "BSA approve" speakers that people can call on to speak at scouting events. I think 20 speeches and they get a knot. The philmont came out this year while i was at PTC. you have to attend 2 PTC conferences, get 3 more people to attend a conference and then you have to teach at the district or council level. Then the PHd of commissioner science is basically earning your PHd in commissioning.

The speakers knot is basically for a bunch of guys who are "BSA approve" speakers that people can call on to speak at scouting events. I think 20 speeches and they get a knot. The philmont came out this year while i was at PTC. you have to attend 2 PTC conferences, get 3 more people to attend a conference and then you have to teach at the district or council level. Then the PHd of commissioner science is basically earning your PHd in commissioning.

I saw the new commissioner training knot; it's simply a supplemental to the current Distinguished Commissioner knot. It's for taking extended advanced supplemental Commissioner training.

In deference to LisaBob and her real world academic credentials, I won't call the final level of commish training a doctorate. I know what I had to do for my Masters, and BSA in no way demands as much academic rigor. I think I have a clue of the rigor Lisa took in her degrees... and she's right. BSA Commish doctorate isn't.