Activity Uniform = Uniform for flag etiquette?

As far as I know it works like this: (for cub scouts, and boy scouts)

Official Uniform, salute using the '(cub) scout salute' with the right hand over your right temple, (of course).

Now an interesting thing I learned in cub scouting, and my council actually pushes for all troops is when in a Class-B (Field Uniform), or just normal clothing you would make the '(cub) scout salute) and place it over your heart, with the index finger touching you and going outwards in front.

I'm not sure if national has an exact policy on this, but I find it interesting and I plan to continue doing it that way.

From the May-June, 2006 issue of "Scouting" Magazine, letters:

Saluting in uniform

Q: In addition to the official Class A Scout uniform, the BSA also has a Class B uniformofficial Scout pants or shorts with a troop or camp T-shirt. My question regards protocol during flag ceremonies: Should a Scout use the Scout salute while in a Class B uniform or place his right hand over his heart?

Christopher Dillon

Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 24

Bloomsburg, Pa.

A: First, when referring to uniforms, Class A and Class B are military terms that are not used in the BSA. The correct Scouting terms for the two versions of the uniform are "official uniform" and "activity uniform." Although less formal, the activity uniform is still considered an official uniform, and therefore it is appropriate for boys to use the Scout salute while wearing it during a flag ceremony.