Epaulets: Pro and Con

I'm returning to scouting, having left as an Eagle scout in 1979. I deeply admire and respect the program, and I know, like many others here, that it's had a major formative impact on me.

But looking at today's scout uniform, I just abhor the epaulets!

They look like what the guy who parks your car wears, or the guy spraying for termites in your house, they look militaristic and uselessly so. Just no purpose. Pointless and goofy-looking.

By the way, I also think the collar + neckerchief arrangement is a confusion of styles. It should be one or the other, not both at the same time.

If there are genuine benefits to epaulets, kindly advise me. I've been out of the loop for a couple of decades or so.

Pedantic mode: These are not epaulets an epaulette is an ornamental shoulder piece, usually fringed. We are referring to the passant or shoulder strap, which was originally used to hold the epaulet in place.

I have seen one of the Scouting organization in Europe that had a small loop on the edge of the shoulder with a small colored loop through it to identify the section.

Ed

" an epaulette is an ornamental shoulder piece, usually fringed. We are referring to the passant or shoulder strap, which was originally used to hold the epaulet in place"

The US Army calls them epaulets. The Marince Corps calls them eapulettes. Burberry calls them epuaulettes and they invented the trenchcoat which is notable for epaulettes. I'll continue to call them epaulettes and I'll be in good company.

Gold Winger,

You will also be in the company of the Insignia Guide, which says that shoulder loops are worn "on shoulder epaulets." This is in the Cub Scout section, Boy Scout section, and Venturing section.

Webster's dictionary says an epaulet is "something that ornaments or protects the shoulder: as a: an ornamental fringed shoulder pad formerly worn as part of a military uniform b: an ornamental strip or loop sewn across the shoulder of a dress or coat." It looks like epalmer is using definition (a) while the rest of us are using definition (b).

And by either definition, I join in the opinion of Mr. (William D.?) Boyce. I perhaps don't mind 'em as much as he does, but I wouldn't be at all sad to see the things go.

B

FWIW, many foreign scout associations use epaulets and shoulder loops. Usually the shoulder loops indicate the program you are in.

I found it interesting that for the Russian scout association, they wear only ONE shoulder loop, based on the russian flag. The mexican scout uniform had epaulets, but they went from the sleeve seem DOWN, rather then up toward the neck.

They just look overly fussy, and like something a non-scout teen would point and laugh at. I guess at the root of it, to me they look more "military" and "down market" than "outdoor conservation". They make the uniform stick out more, when in the general public.

I'm glad to hear the etymology here (I think that's the word!). I once saw a couple of steel engraved portraits of Mexican Army and U.S. Army soldiers from the Mexican-American War era, and from what I remember, actual epaulets offered some protection against sword blows. Vestigial armor.

Mr. Boyce,

Welcome!

I don't much care for the epaulets, I think it makes a scout look like Captain Crunch.

I'd rather see a green shirt and pants combo (like when we were scouts).

Gonzo1

When I wuz a Scout we wore buckskins and carried Sharps rifles. Aah, thems wuz the dayz. Alls a man needed wuz his rifle, a hoss, an' a twist of 'baccy. A'course he needed a good knife too.

None of these danged epp-ee-lets for us. A'couse we did have them bandana things. Funny thing about that. I was in St. Louie one time and feller gived me a summit to et, a yaller fruit and he called it a bandana. I tole him thet he wuz loco, ya wears a bandana aroun' yore neck, ya don' et it. City folks . . .

GW,

The more I read your posts, the more I am convinced that you are Brianbuff.

I was a scout from 74 to 80 and ASM from 80 to 82 and off and on while I was in the Navy. I happen to prefer the 1970's era uniform. Though my first Boy Scout uniform had the red piping (that's trim for you GW) around the edge of the pants pocket that could be folded over and buttoned open or closed. Heavier shirt too. I prefer the permanent pressed, comfortable shirt that stayed tucked in no matter what. There was no need for a "class B" uniform.

G

You know, I don't really have a problem with change. But usually you try to change things for the good. Here, the epaulets just seem to serve no purpose. People say they indicate if you're a scout. .. well, that's why scouts have green uniforms, not blue or forest green ones. (Not to sound too nutty, but I'm assuming cub scouts still wear blue, not scout green).