Current ROLLING STONE

Just received the most recent ROLLING STONE at our house; have a spouse that has to keep up on the classic rock community. On front is a photo of Eagles with one wearing what seems to be a 40's vintage uniform shirt (has partly metal buttons and brown community strip) with a Life patch. Just wonder how that is going to be looked at by National. Could not have been the wearer's uniform, as is too old. Is it good or bad publicity to see the BSA represented indirectly with this type of photo? Just wonder what others might think.

http://www.rollingstone.com/(This message has been edited by skeptic)

The current uniform was introduced in 1981. To all of us over 40 the green uniform shirt would be the one we remember from our youth. The eagles current members are in their early 60's so fit into this group. I think that having a "rock star" endorse BSA even obliquely does no harm.

Linda Ronstadt wore a Cub Scout shirt a few times while performing. She goofed and got one about 2 sizes too small which forced her to leave the top 3 or 4 buttons undone. Oh well. I'm not sure, but I don't think she was trying to to endorse Scouting.

At the 2001 Jamboree Arena Show there was a Girl Rock Group, I think they were called the Ace of Hearts? (I never heard of them before or after the Jambo!!)

Any way they came on stage wearing Boy Scout Uniform Shirts tied in a knot (Overhand knot!!) at the waist area.

The girls were very attractive and the Boy Scouts I was with seemed to like them!!

In fact they went over a lot better than the "Young Osmond's" who for some reason were presented with Eagle Scout badges on stage??

I of course don't know if the powers that be. - Whoever they are? Were aware that these girls were going to be dressed as they were?

I'm guessing someone at the jamboree gave them the shirts?

Maybe this was before all the new or are they old rules? Started being looked at?

I wonder if the BSA could ask for compensation from the magazine for the use of their material?

My thinking is that no one is going to do anything.

It's kinda fitting that it's the Eagles!! Just imagine if the Sex Pistols and Johnny Rotten were on the cover? (Not that it's possible!)

Eamonn.

The BSA owns the image and use of the official uniforms of the BSA, whether or not they choose to pursue the matter of the shirt on the cover of the magazine is their choice, is it not?

The Young Osmonds are all Eagle scouts.

Eamonn, the grou[p was the 3 of Hearts, half way through their performance they exited the stage and came back with the uniform shirts. I have heard, if you look close enough on the Jamboree video, you can make out the position patches and knots and they had to have been National Committee members shirts.

Their performance was most well know,n to me at least, by an inappropriate remark one of them made which if I recounted, I would then have to remove

Hi Bob White,

I posted:

"...who for some reason were presented with Eagle Scout badges on stage?? "

I accept that they may well have met the requirements to receive the award. I just think that the time and place seemed odd. - At least to me.

OGE

If I were to post what the Scouts said about the Young Osmond's, I'd have to remove that.

They did think that the girls were "Hot".

Still 2001 and the Shows will for me be best remembered by the fellow with the white beard playing the saw.

He was in full uniform, but I don't think he is ever going to make the cover of the Rolling Stone. (If he removes his uniform I think he might look good on that green bottle with "Rolling" in its name. -I wonder if he belongs to Troop 33?)

Eamonn

Ah yes, the older gent who played somewhere over the rainbow on his musical saw, I had scouts around me astounded one could melodic sounds out of a saw, poor children, they had never seen Ted Mack's original amateur hour replete with Saw Players and Accordian Players doing Lady of Spain I adore you.

The saw playing was memorable

I know this is going off the subject somewhat but ----

I remember sitting around many campfires in the 50's playing a juice harp. In fact I still have one. It caused a real problem once going through a security check point at the airport.

Does anyone else have one and have used it at campfires?

Actually it is a "Jew's harp." I had one as a kid but my father confiscated it because he was convinced that it would cause my teeth to disintegrate.

I haven't seen it in 35 years but now I wish that I had one to play around campfires.