Stump The Chump, Scouting Magazine, Jan-Feb 08

Fred,

Thanks for making my other point :)

So far, no one who has quoted a difference from standard has taken the time to cite it.

One would think all these folk who put such emphasis on uniforms would have a uniform guide to hand ;)

SFAICT, all the supposed differences are the subject of arcane knowledge and Indian Lore.

In the meantime, thanks again to Mr Coronado for doing such a job with Troop 200! :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Citations are difficult. For example, the insignia guide says that the Jamboree patch may be worn above the right pocket but it is only by inference that other patches there are prohibited.

A Mexican flag patch is prohibited because it does not have an FDL or the letters BSA on it.

Shoulder loops? As it says in the insignia guide, "council or district Scouter." Since he's with his troop, he should be wearing his red loops.

Interestingly, the insignia guide is mute about which necker is to be worn with the woodbadge woggle.

Someone should speak with that council about their CSP. Unless things have changed, there are only a few authorized shapes for CSPs and that isn't one of them.

At least he isn't wearing ACU pants a "You might be a redneck . . ." cap. :-)

Let's remember that the uniform is a method of Scouting, not a goal.

For what it's worth:

*The patch above Mr. Coronado's right pocket is the emblem of the American Indian Scouting Association.

http://www.americanindianscouting.org/

*I can't tell if he has three or four beads on his thong, but Wood Badge staff now wear the training neckerchief until the end of the course.

*The Wood Badge neckerchief uses a twill weave with a face (the top weave) of deep peach and a back of red. (I use color charts in my work)

*The flap patches the Scouts are wearing are the Totin' Chip and Firem'n Chit emblems. These are supposed to be for equipment wear only, but they are designed in a pocket flap shape; I see these worn in this manner quite frequently. There is also a Cub Scout Whittling Chip emblem.

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?item=08597

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?item=08598

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?item=08599

Ed

" A troop in their activity shirts and shorts doing something useful is much better than military style marionettes on parade."

Sounds like you have some issues.

I guess so when I was the age of most of the scouts in our troop I was sent off to a military boarding school where if you received to many demerits you marched in a punishment detail back and forth on the parade ground on Saturday morning you also lost privileges you had earned by getting good grades in school. So marching and uniforms are associated in my mind with punishment details. I understand uniforming as a concept but would by preference make it as nonmilitary and as user friendly as possible.

While I haven't seen the new issue, I hear that there is what looks to be a CSP on the pocket flap? Could this be the new uniform we have been hearing so much about. One of the older scouts in my troop, who works at a scout shop, has mentioned seeing the new uniform shirt and I thought I heard him say that they were moving the CSP and the shoulder loops are changing to green. He didn't say what color of green, so it may be light enough to look silver in the picture.

As I said in my first sentance, I haven't seen the new issue yet so take this with a very large grain of salt.