AOL Square Knot from old Webelos days

I have been intrigued with the Arrow of Light since I saw a GREAT ceremony last spring. My son was a Tiger last year. This year, I have become part of the pack committee (Outdoor Activities Chair). I started reading more about the Arrow of Light and found :

http://www.sageventure.com/history/cub/index.htm

Arrow of Light

In 1972 or at the end of 1971, the old Webelos rank badge changed its name to the Arrow of Light badge and the requirements were for the badge were significantly changed. The changes meant that Webelos could begin working on their Arrow of Light at the age of 10.

I obtained my Webelos badge in early 1971, before becoming a boy scout for one year. I left the scouts due to an inactive troop. Now that I am back with scouts as a leader, I was wondering if I am able to wear an AOL Square Knot on my leader uniform. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rob

HUH?

What kind of arcane knowledge and Indian Lore is being given out here??

I was a Cub 1964-67. The ranks were Wolf, Bear, Lion. (Ages 8, 9, and 10 in turn). Starting at age 10 1/2 you worked on your Arrow of Light and transitioned to Boy Scouting.

As I became a Lion in the Fall of 1966, the Webelos Den started up. I have a Big "en point" square W where my Den numerals went. The year following, Cub Scout Division stripped out the Lion rank and instituted the Webelo award. It's been around in some form or other ever since.

The Arrow of Light has ALWAYS been there.

As to the knot: It's one of the 3 common youth earned knots. Wear it with pride. :) (The other two are Eagle and youth religious award).

The Arrow of Ligh HAS been there for a long time but it wasn't always called that. In my 1967 "Webelos Scout Book" says, "The Webelos Award may be earned by any Webelos Scout or Cub Scout beginning at age 10 years 3 months."

Those were the good old days when you couldn't join Boy Scouts until your 11th birthday. I think that avoided the entire mess of New Scout Patrols, New Scout ASMs and the grand mess of "making Tenderfoot before Summer Camp."

I do think that it is a shame that most, if not all packs, equate earning the AOL with "crossing over." A boy can earn the AOL long before cross over and continue to work on belt loops, activity pins and the like. When I mentioned this to my sons' Den Leader, the response was "what's the point?"

Well, Gold Winger, we're both wrong:

http://www.threefirescouncil.org/Advancement/ad_aol.htm

I think I trust a Council website more than I trust Mr Murray. If we really want to go for it, I'll meet you at the Ernest Thompson Seton Library in Philmont next summer, and we can really find out.

The requirements for specific badges may have moved left and right, but the AOL has been around a good 15 years longer than I have, and I'm 51.

I don't get your point. Who is Mr. Murray?

That website confirms that it was the Webelos Award originally and the name changed around 1967 although my 1967 Webelos book still calls it the "Webelos Award" Different requirements, same emblem, diferent name.

" All Cubs are a part of the Webelos tribe, whose leader is named Arrow of Light (and Akela is a brave in the tribe)."

Some of that is new to me. From my 1954 Wolf book which is the same as my vanished 1966 Wolf book, "Akela was the Big Chief of the Webelos. . . . His father was the son of the sun. His totem was the Arrow of Light."

Wolf

Even

Bear

Eventually

Lion

On to

Scout

I think I remember my CM telling us that. Then "they" told us it was "We Be Loyal Scouts" . Poor grammar.

I think I liked my version better.

Wear the knot, already.