What are "Poly-Wools"?

Shirts and trousers. BSA adult uniforms are available in 3 different fabrics...polyester/wool blend, polyester/cotton blend, and 100% cotton. All are available by mail-order from www.scoutstuff.com or through your local Scout Shop. Most people wear the poly/cotton because it''s the cheapest and what most Scout Shops have in stock. I have a 100% cotton shirt I picked up on eBay. It''s great when it''s starched and ironed, otherwise it looks like it''s been slept in for a month, and the collar is starting to fray. Poly/wool is the most expensive and IMHO, too dressy and pricey for field use, but they do look good.

If you are familiar with any military folk the Field uniform shirt you see 99% of the time on scouts is similiar to the military issue "Dress" shirt. Those who have military career aspirations, or just like to look good, soon buy "Creighton"s" or a similar manufacturers shirt - they are of a heavier material that resists wrinkling a lot more than the cotton shirts and hold a crease a lot better also.

As far as trousers go I am using the Switchbacks exclusively.

If you have found some you can afford then I would buy them, but the "standard" Field shirt is working for me for now.(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)

Eammon had a post on this awhile back. His son asked for one for a gift.

Owning three "Creighton''s" I can attest to their look and feel when wearing them.

The Marine Corps did not expect me to carry an armload of wood when wearing one.

The standard shirt serves us "OK" I''m sticking with that.

• 1 month later...

I have a poly-wool shirt that I found (new with tag) on ebay for less than a poly-cotton one would be at the Scout Shop.

Strangely, it's sleeves are shorter than either my cotton or poly-shirts. It does look nice but is very light weight.

The poly wool pants are supposed to fit better than the cargo pocket pants. Someday, I may order a pair.