switchback pants

hi i am new

i had a pair or switchback pants for a month or so they started pilling a little. i took them back to scout store and they replaced them.

the one scout in the troop i am with he had his switchback pants for like 2 weeks and only wore them once to scout meeting he had pilling of like a half inch .he returned them and they gave him a new pair also

is this just a rare occasions or have others been having pilling problems ?

Like many others over the years I have had the odd moan and groan about uniforms.

But I really can't complain about how good the return policy is.

Anything and everything I have ever send back has been replaced with no hassle.

OK, maybe a bit of a wait -But that's about it.

Ea.

Gunny2862 writes:

"Mine have a little pilling but considering what they are made of and the use they are put to I was waiting for it to happen."

Would you explain that, Gunny?

We switched from olive-drab poly-cotton military "BDU" pants to olive-drab nylon "zip-offs" for our Troop's Scout pants almost ten years ago. The comparison photo-chart is one of the oldest pages on my Website:

http://inquiry.net/uniforms/bdu.htm

We tested many different brands over the years but never encountered any "pilling" (nice neutral term, btw, our boys call them "pant boogers") until we switched to the Switchbacks. None of the other nylon was described as "Supplex," however.

Some of the oldest pairs (EMS "Pinnacle Performance") are still in service. The BSA design is most similar to an REI design from about five years ago, especially the odd-sized pockets, lack of well thought-out cuffs (should have elastic shock-cord to adjust length rather than specific inseam sizes), and "soft" nylon material.

Kudu

Kudu, thanks for reminding us of your excellent "Consumer Reports" like comparison of OD trousers! I'd like to be able to send your page to every SPL and SM in the country. It would be great if you could update the chart to include the new switchbacks.

Kudu - So that's your website ! Thank you for that wonderful resource ! I get sucked into the materials for days and days ! I recall your Scout Trouser comparison page and have to believe that it was a large part of what inpsired the move to the "Kenya Convertibles" or "Switchbacks"as they are now called !

I only wish the were more rugged.

Warmest regards,

Nessmuk

Kudu,

based on your post, you know what I mean by pilling :); if you mean the use, then I have just been wearing mine. I've recently worn them to an Eagle CoH, at camp(same pair on multiple days), camping, working up a compass course using direct travel (and avoiding obstacle bypass at this point)(which has been requiring some brush busting) vice point and thrust, I've worn them as shorts while swimming and air dried in them while walking around.

You know, just doing the things that I think "Field wear" should be able to stand up to without being destroyed. Now I am, as practicable not just walking through thorn bushes with wild abandon or anything.

Would the same design in BDU material be as good, well, not for any time you got soaked unless you were wearing performance undergarments. IMHO.

In a different material, sure, I think I'd like to see that; I'm just not sure what material I'd want.

Over all I'm not unhappy with them but I don't think I'm going to be able to get away with not having a "Dress" pair of field trousers.(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)