Adult Patrol Patches

I find it sad that so many scouters find it necessary to take the fun out of being a scouter.

While a patrol patch may not be recognized for adult uniforms, it does serve as an example for the boys while at the same time making a game for the adults to play.

As a Scoutmaster, I started an adult patrol for just those reasons. Our patrol was the "Clueless" patrol, sporting a brite green question mark on the tan background and the name "Clueless".

Whenever the boys would come to one of us and ask what they should do, our response was, "I don't know, go ask your (patrol or senior patrol) leader". They learned before too long to look to each other for answers. No one was insulted or demeaned. At the same time, the adults had fun doing their assigned or assumed responsibilities. Most importantly, we functioned as a team, just what the patrol method is all about.

Are we goofy? Maybe, but at least I am having fun while getting the kids to have fun. Thank God I am not required to be a stiff while donating my time.

So for those of you who scoff at the concept I say, "If it works, do it." If you have a better idea, do that. Please don't try to make all of us conform to one mold.

In Scouting,

Bubbabear

I wear my WB patrol patch on my uniform.

My SM wears his WB patrol patch on his uniform

My CC wears his WB patrol patch on his uniform

Mine is different than the SM and CC. When the boys ask why it's not the same as the other "adults" I tell them the story and why it's important to have a reference point of being part of a group and yet being an individual.

Stosh

Some of the boys picked up on this. My Raven Patrol (Honor patrol) have a flag with the raven on it, but on their uniforms they all wear a older black/red patrol patch to indicate their individuality. "Moose" is the SPL and "Squirrel" is the ASPL "Beaver" who just was invited in is the Troop Guide for our Beaver Patrol and the boys thought that was appropriate. The boys all wear the blue/tan beaver patrol patch and the TG wears the red/black beaver, but is recognized without a doubt as a Raven

While totally inappropriate, the boys are really liking it and when a patch gets given, it is usually sewn on by the next meeting (which is usually faster than rank advancement, POR patches, or merit badges).

I'm with Bubbabear, if it isn't really hurting anything and it doesn't threaten the program, why not?

jblake...

Thanks for the vote of confidence. There are many patches I would not wear on my uniform...my "Southern Drawl" interpretor strip, my "Roadkill" patch (upside-down beaver with tire tracks) or my "Un-Trainable" patch...and so on. Neither would I wear my OA "spoof" patches.

Why do I see so many "long-term" scouters wearing approved patches incorrectly? I have seen Quality Unit patches worn like hatch-marks down the sleeve, Commissioner Arrowheads upside down, two or three jamo patches. How many of you scouters wear blue jeans with your uniform shirt?

Come on fellow scouters, lighten up! Why open up another can of worms?

I'm guilty of bad uniforming, in that I sport a "Grump" patch on my uniform, as do all of the other adult leaders in my troop. (It's a rocking chair, BTW.)

I'm also guilty of setting an example of patrol cohesion and cooperation and spirit.

I'm guilty of devising a way to keep new Scouters from hanging with their sons on campouts.

I'm guilty of showing non-registered adults what their sons are going through.

Guilty as charged. Take any fines from uniform police out of my Scoutmaster paycheck.

It's always been my personal opinion that if someone wishes to beat met to the ground and tear off my unauthorized patches, they can do so. So far I haven't met any scouters that feel all that strongly about it, but I have found many opportunities to have some great dialog about patches and uniforms when courteously confronted. :)

Stosh