New Cub Scout Switchback pants

I got a glimpse of the new blue cub scout switchback pants coming out. Very nice. More durable material for boys on their knees a lot. Carpenter pants styling. Functional pockets. Looks like a winner! Has anybody heard whether the Boy Socut switchback pants will move on to a "version 2" to match the cubbies new style?

CMM

Our DE brought his promo pair to roundtable the pants did look good. No boot zippers on the bottom of the legs so they are easy to hem then let out for growing boys the waist was also adjustable with buttons and elastic inside the waistband. Material was heavy canvas like and lots of pockets and loops. I was under the impression that the scout version was made with the lightweight fabric for good reasons we already have the old style pants available if someone wants a heavy fabric.

• 4 weeks later...

One of the problems with the "lightweight" Boy Scout switchbacks is they melt when you stand to close to a campfire. Changing them to a heavier material would be a good thing.

Guess they learned from their mistakes and improved them for the Cubs. Getting rid of the boot zippers is wonderful too. Ever try to shorten pants by 4 inches when you can't just cut off the bottoms? It's not pleasant.

The Cubs pants are different from the BS pants because Cubs do different things. There are no bottom zippers on the Cub version because of the rate of growth in Cubs and the fact they often are in simple gym type shoes. Cubs also spend a big portion of their time skidding on their knees and so need heavier material.

I doubt they will change the BS version any time soon. BTW - the zippers are for changing on the run, so to speak. On a backpacking/canoeing/high adventure trip there is usually no place available to undress or even simply to easily take off your hiking boots. The fact that sparks melt holes in the pants (boys/adults should NEVER be close enough to a fire to melt large portions of the pant), IMO does not offset the convenience of light weight & quick drying.

ScoutNut said,"The fact that sparks melt holes in the pants . . . IMO does not offset the convenience of light weight & quick drying."

Agreed, but the questionable quality control and odd sizing of the OD's sure do!

The new cub pants are a great idea , and while I've been reluctant to buy uniform pants for my own boys, that's now likely to change.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with ScoutNut. I'd rather have the boot zippers for easy removal of the legs during activities and the light weight for fast drying. I'd rather the pants be functional when I'm wearing them than easy to modify when I'm not.

If I hear a hint they won't be making the BSA switchbacks in the light weight fabric I will go out and buy several pairs. As cool as most shorts , no danger of sunburn on what ever they cover and bug proof. Brush busters they are not, as a replacement for the older BSA shorts they rock!

PS: up to 95% of the time a pair of field pants made from this fabric but without the leg or boot zippers would work as well or better, for me.

True, I would NOT want to do any back country brushbusting with the BS Switchbacks but for almost every other activity we do I think they are an excellent choice! The ability to take off or put on the legs as the day warms up and cools down, or to go swimming is great. And having the cost saving (and weight savings while hiking)of doing double duty as trousers and shorts.

I just wish I could use my remaining military utility trousers for the back country w/o falling afoul of BSA rules/guidelines.

And being able to do so w/o taking off the boots due to the zipper seems more than worth the effort of doing the length adjustment at the top - my 12 year old is wearing bigger shoes than me, has the same inseam but still doesn't have a 30 inch waist - try buying clothes without adjustments for that!

Gunny:

If they are solid color almost nobody will squack unless worn to formal ocasions, and maybe not then. First campfire at summer camp this year one troop showed up with monochrome camo activity shirts and others had on various camo pants/shorts. But at the OA callout one troop even wore matching neckerchiefs the right way!(did my heart good) I did notice, sloppy dressed scouters had sloppy dressed scouts.

Lead by example

Prarie,

Alas, I was unclear, in the USMC current issue and for as long as I was in Utility and Camouflage uniforms were the same thing - and thus unsuitable for our BSA outings. Although I still wear the boots unless we are taking a long hike.

The only time I saw "greens" as a utility uniform was on some members of the platoon ahead of ours as we in-processed.

LbE - a novel concept, and why I lurk around these forums. As a newbie I've got to get the gouge somewhere.