Custom/homemade

History reports that the early BSA uniforms were cutdown surplus doughboy uniforms. Seems to me this could be done again, sorta. what would it take?

Patterns so that the uniforms will indeed be uniform, features that add comfort or durbility would be shown as options. A new choice for the hard to fit.

Suppliers of fabric the right colors identified or color referance provided.

A tag to be sewen in if the item passes a simple inspection preferably worn by the end user, something like "BSA Accepted" sold for same amount national lost out on if a off the shelf item had been sold, this would be optional.

A diffrent tag for a item custom fit, produced for sale, the option for a home sewing business. Bulk priced buttons would need to be avaible too.

Or would this idea disturb the revenue stream too much?

prairie

Hmmmm, the last time I went in the local Scout Shop, they had official "uniform" uniforms hanging on the rack in every size imaginable. They had long sleeve and short sleeve shirts, long pants and shorts and even a pair that can be converted to either. Why reinvent the wheel?

Well, if we followed that kind of reasoning we might all be driving Chevettes? To be honest I don't see $40 in value in the current shirt, if it wern't labled BSA they might sell for $10-$15. I wouldn't mind paying $40 if they were made as well as those of forty years ago, I have several of those and am amazed at how well they were put together. Unfortunatly I can't find one big enough for me to wear.

I am glad the ScoutShop has the choices it does, I find the cotton version far more comfortable than the polyblend.

You won't get any disagreement from me concerning price. But opening up the official "uniform" uniform would result in not so "uniform" uniforms. There are a good number of folks on this forum who would immediately begin to fudge the cut, the material, the color, etc. and call it "approved". The uniform would quickly become non-uniform.

Of course, once a kid hits 14 they can join venturing and design their own Crew uniform. Well, it wouldn't replace the uniform you wear patches on, but still it would be a custom uniform.

If we have to buy a tag from BSA to make up the BSA's profit, then what incentive do I have to make my own uniform? If it's going to end up costing me the same, I'll just let the 12 year old in Bangladesh get his 38 cents a day for making them.

I don't think "homemade" uniforms is the way to go. We might look like the crocodile hunter.

Somebody, Kudu I think, wants a uniform that "SCREAMS HIGH ADVENTURE when indoors" How about one that screams high adventure OUTdoors?

I've suggested other options, returning to the 70's style uniforms, looked good, no Elvis collars, stayed tucked in, etc. I've also suggested that BSA adopt something new, lot's of us have. How about we scrap the dress designer uniform and get something like the 70's uniform, OR, get an American company to make a uniform. I shop at Sam's Club from time to time, their store brand Flyer's has nice looking switchbacks, shorts and shirts. Perhaps something could work? Velcro pockets, zipper pocets, cargo pockets, nice design, etc.

just my 2 cents.