The Uniform Method is an OUTDOOR Method!

I've got to be frank here and say I have never heard ONE complaint about the Scout uniform amongst the 30 boys in our troop or 7 leaders. The only complaints I hear are here, from adults! So if the reasons we are Scouting don't mind then we shouldn't. Yes, I like the colored backing rank and POR patches better but it is what it is and I am going to wear it proudly. We have troop t-shirts for camping and such but I am real proud of the uniforming in our troop for parades, meetings, and service projects, and wherever uniforms are necessary. Now, if I could only sell them on neckerchiefs......

I've bought a pair of the new switchback pants. I like the material and the "style." However, I do have one complaint. I'm short. A 30 inch inseam is to long for me. That is as short as they come. With the zippered bottom they are difficult to hem to a different length. An elastic cuff at the bottom would be a nice feature (or let me special order a 29 or 28 inch inseam. I'll pay the extra cost!). (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

Latest sewing project involves changing a BDU khaki/tan shirt to a prototype field shirt.

Prairie, do you have jpgs of your experiments you would like to share?

go bush and desert camo with black strips for office and colored strips for rank,

How about GREEN BARS for office? Now there is a simple, clutter-free idea! :-)

The Camping shirt could be the new nylon activity shirt, with a few patches for leader position, rank, unit number and patrol.

I'd go along with that as long the indoor shirt is optional in an outdoor association. That way you could spot from a greater distance Wood Badge types coming at you from their indoor seminars :-)

How many of you wear neckerchiefs while out on real backpacking trips (AT, Philmont)?

The Neckerchief is the universal international icon of Scouting so the shirt should be designed with it in mind (rather than as the 1980 "fashion accessory" of today), but I've never been comfortable wearing one backpacking either, despite their widespread frontier origin from the African Transfeldt to the American wild west.

I've worn nylon and polypro shirts. I've worn woolen trou and shirts as well.

Give me natural fibers, please. Environmentally friendly. Lots less shocking.

Shocking?

Wool can cause severe itching among some people, even "smart wool" with a layer between it and the skin. Wool is also heavy, especially when wet.

I've got to be frank here and say I have never heard ONE complaint about the Scout uniform amongst the 30 boys in our troop or 7 leaders.

My experience is that this goes in cycles. The more nerds in your Troop, the less complaints.

I first became aware of the issue when I noticed that each "generation" of Scouts had exactly the same complaint when they explained why they refused to wear their expensive BSA Scout pants. When we switched to BDUs (and then nylon zip-offs) in the 1990s they started wearing them to school.

If this is not a widespread problem, then why do so many trained control freaks pride themselves on holding the Advancement Method hostage to the Uniform Method?

I am real proud of the uniforming in our troop for parades, meetings, and service projects, and wherever uniforms are necessary.

Dress designers and their loyal fellow-travelers may take great pride in wearing an indoor Uniform outdoors, but for outdoor parades give me an outdoor Uniform that screams "HIGH ADVENTURE"!

Oh, and one nylon American flag per Scout, the larger the better.

An elastic cuff at the bottom would be a nice feature

For at least five years now the smarter nylon zip-off designs have been sold in broad size RANGES, with an elastic shockcord at the bottom that adjusts the actual length with each wearing. Obviously this is the preferred solution for Scouts as they undergo rapid growth spurts. Some say that the shockcord also helps form a barrier against the ticks that carry Lime Disease, which is a plus in an outdoor Uniform. See:

http://inquiry.net/uniforms/bdu.htm

Kudu

"...give me an outdoor Uniform that screams "HIGH ADVENTURE"!" For a Camping uniform, I agree 100%!

FYI, the Wood Badge courses at our Council are all conducted outdoors - not a single session is conducted inside a building. We camp, we meet under pavillions, and we cook and eat under dining flies. Not sure how you could get much more "outdoors" unless you were building shelters ala Wilderness Survival, or backpacking along the AT.

How about youth leaders wearing their bars on the backs of their caps? You know, they lead from the front, so their positions of leadership need to be where they can be seen by the rest of their group.

"My experience is that this goes in cycles. The more nerds in your Troop, the less complaints." Come on, Kudu. Nerds? These are BOY SCOUTS who come in all varieties. There are 3 young men in our troop who play varsity football at the H.S. I am a pretty big guy and I wouldn't call these kids nerds! If the kids aren't crying to Texas about uniforms then let it go. This just keeps going 'round and 'round "the horrible, nasty uniforms are keeping kids away from Scouts". Thats pasture-piles and most of us know it! Focus your energy on program. If you deliver a program thats worthwhile, word gets around. If National does read these posts as has been stated here before, hear me now I WILL NOT invest money in an updated uniform as the 6 I have now should last me until the bitter end!

Wow, a sewing project modifying BDU's, someone has BDU pants that scouts wear to school too.

I'm not sure about a nylon shirt.

Why can't we ....... But how about ............

Does National really read these posts??????

I wish we could do away with the current tan shirt, I think the basic design of the pants is OK, larger cargo pocket would be helpful.

The shirt we wore in the 70's didn't come untucked as Prairie noted. I never like the collarless version, but the smaller collar was fine, turn it under and put on the neckerchief and go, even with a backpack.