Square Knot for GS Gold???

I'm familiar with most of the BSA Adult leader square knots, but one of our local adult female leaders showed me a knot that her troop presented her with...She earned her Gold Award as a GS and they gave her a square knot to recognize that..I have no idea of where they got it or if it's "officially" recognized by BSA but was just curious..I mentioned it to a couple of other female leaders who were interested in finding the answer because they had earned their Gold (or whatever it was called in their time)too and I offered to see if I could find out the information. With so many women becoming involved in scouting as leaders..if it's not an official knot, perhaps it's time for BSA to consider one to recognize that achievement too.

Sue M.

I can find no mention in my BSA 2006 Insignia Guide of such a knot.

Could you tell me what the border, background, and cord colors were?

Also was it a square knot type or one of the other designs? I have no real opionin on whether a GS Gold should be recognised on a BSA Scouter uniform and no clue what if any youth awards a GS leader might wear. I definatly don't want to be known as a uniformpoliceman, much rather be squared away myself and willing to help the boys where I can.

Prairie

Your friend's knot is a private, specially made recognition. It is not connected to, or recognized by, BSA in any way.

The Girl Scout Gold Award (Golden Eaglet of Merit, Golden Eagle, First Class, Curved Bar) is a Girl Scout award. Even though it is still Scouting, the BSA does not recognize awards earned thru other organizations, only those earned thru BSA.

The only exception to this would be the Religious Emblem knot.

It's probably unofficial to BSA. Does GSUSA use square knots for their leader uniforms?

I would hope there is a certain level of mutual adult recognition. I've seen young ladies earn their Gold and they are investing as much effort as my son did with his Eagle.

Hope is the keyword. BSA doesn't, so far as I know, cross-fertilize recognition with GSUSA.

Even so, what's the worst that can happen? A Uniform Pharisee whimpers.

Considering all the other unofficial knots that are out there, I'd say wear it. It's legitimate hard work from your youth!

The knot in question probably came from Craig Murray. He makes several repro knots on Venturing green. Visit his store here for more info: http://www.sageventure.com/store/

While I do not care for unofficial knots, the GS Gold one is one of the very few that I don't mind.

"Even though it is still Scouting, the BSA does not recognize awards earned thru other organizations, only those earned thru BSA. The only exception to this would be the Religious Emblem knot."

Not quite true. There are also the 'Community Organization Awards'. These are 10 (so far) awards given by community organizations that the BSA recognizes with a knot (gold on purple).

Ok...thanks! We'd looked through the insignia guide and I did try to check elsewhere online to see if there was possibly something obscure hiding out there..I can't remember exactly what color the knot was but it was made just like a regular BSA square knot and I considered that perhaps they had it custom made.

That's a reasonable thought though in suggesting wearing the pin on the right pocket, especially considering how our council tends to be pretty liberal in allowing uniform "decoration".

Sue M

Thanks for the link emb021...I found this info there that I thought I'd post as it was interesting! Whether it is true for all councils is another story and granted..it was intended for girls invovled in Venturing to wear, not adults.

sue

"The Girl Scout Gold Award knot has no history, is unofficial and is only included to recognize girl's who have earned that award and are involved in today's Venturing program. However, I received this statement in an e-mail: "I have some good news for you. I did what you said about getting permission from my Scout Executive before wearing an unofficial knot on the uniform. The knot in question is the Girl Scout Gold Award Knot. My Scout Executive told me he could not give me permission to wear it, but he would take it to national and see what their take on it was. I am happy to say that National gave approval to the wearing of the Girl Scout Gold Award Knot." I doubled checked with the Scout Executive and he confirmed the story. That definitely was a surprise."