1938 Scoutmaster pin

Having just taken the SM position for a troop that was chartered in 1938, I have 2 of the round, green SM pins that were first issued in that same year. I'm wondering where these pins were worn on the uniform, if they ever were, or were they worn on the lapel of a coat. I don't know if any of you go that far back, but I would love to use these in some way, as a means of acknowledging the age of the troop.

I know they were worn on coat lapels, and since I had two I was wondering if they could be worn on the uniform collar. We are going with a custom, square neckerchief (Chief neckerchiefs will be the maker),so you won't even see the collar, but they would be there, somewhere. Obviously, I love the age of the troop, and want to celebrate that as we begin the task of rebuilding the numbers and inspiring new scouts to come to the troop that began in January of 38. Thanks,

As a duly deputized member of the Uniform Police, it is my duty to inform you that these are not authorized for wear on the current uniform. You would, however, be authorized to assemble a complete uniform of the proper 1938 vintage and wear them properly. See a photo of James E. West in uniform for proper placement...or visit the National Scouting Museum in Irving to see West's uniform "in person".

On your current uniform, you can wear the "Veteran unit bar" above your unit numerals.

Okay, can you tell me where they wore them back in 1938? Were they ever worn on the collar? I saw a set on Ebay that were sold by a family who said their father, or maybe it was grandfather, wore them on each side of his collar, but I didn't know if that was an official method. I can't imagine selling something like that in the first place, but all I have seen reference to is a coat lapel, which I imagine would not be a problem, since it is not uniform related.

The SM insignia are refered to as "collar brass" as they are intended to be worn on the collar of the Scouter uniform coat that was last made in the 1960's.

It was a tunic style coat with 2 chest pockets and 2 lower pockets. Overall the coat follows the cut and stle of the US Army dress blouse. The latest versions had the Boy Scouts of America program strip sewn above the right pocket.

The collar brass was worn on the upper points of the coat collar, 1/2" in and 3/4" up from the bottom of the upper collar point.

Uniform regs from the period when they were current issue specifically prohibited them from being worn on the shirt collar. As with all regs, I'm sure this was regularly flouted and the pins were worn where the owner desired.

Sometimes these coats come up for sale on eBay. Hope this helps kahits.

scoutldr's suggestion of obtaining and wearing an older uniform might be something to consider. I have 2 older uniforms that are complete and best of all they fit...now to just get the right badges for the period and sew them on.