Uniforms in a Non-uniform troop

I've always been torn both ways on the uniform issue. When I first started in my troop as a Scout, we only wore "Class B's" t-shirts to regular meetings, but then we wore "Class A's" for Courts of Honor, Summer Camp Campfires, Flag Ceremonies everyo morning and night, and the one definite time was during the OA Callout/Family Night at Summer Camp. The main time that we realy cared and we had our uniforms laundered in town for was the OA Callout. When I was about 15, new leadership took over and we started wearing "A" uniforms to all troop meetings, coming and going from any camping trip, and all of the same Summer Camp times as above. Initially, I didn't like hte change-over, because I thought it was unnecessary to wear "A's" except in the case of formal ceremony, and I still sort of stick by this. For myself, I sort of feel that I felt more respect for things when I had to dress up in an "A". It's like going to a wedding or funeral as a kid, when you dress up, you know this is serious and you had better take as so, or the skies will open up and you'll be struck by lightning. In reality, as an ASM now, you probably should know who your troop leadership, both youth and adult, is, without having to look at their shirt. The job, to be effictively executed, really requires you to get to know your Scouts well, or they will not respect you in reality, in the sense that they will not come to you for advice on how to run things and solve problems, then the troop will suffer in membership attendance and rank advancement. It drives me soo insane to see adults who use the whole, "let them fail, and then they'll learn." This may work a few times, but in the long run is dettrimental to the boys and the troop as a whole. So, enough of that rant. Back to uniforms. With our changeover, it was forceful and sudden. Some Scouts dropped and others were bitter. The best way in my opinion about this old established policy would be to present the benefits of uniforming, which I'll get to in a few thousand lines or so, and have them vote. If the boys can be sold to it, then do it if the majority wants it. If not, then try again maybe a year later after more selling of the idea. Remember, that the troop is for the boys and they should be comfortable with how their organization is run, the Scouting Movement is about democracy and the American Way afterall. So, my like of uniforms. In terms of the "B" uniform, I like the sense of identity it gives you with a smaller group, like a patrol, or in my case, Camp Staff. A shirt that says "Staff" gives you some pride in your job. It helps you unite with your brothers, just as a patrol must have brotherhood to really function propperly. Just like with the OA, many Brothers united and identified under one Lodge Flap available to all members and one main symbol(The arrow on the sash), most of the time when done propperly in my opinion. I severely disagree with those lodges that have different flaps for different membership levels in the OA. The argument comes up then that the Scout Uniform unites all Scouts in the brotherhood of Scouthing in general. So, my final verdict out of all of my rambling and tangents. Uniforms for foraml events (OA Ceremonies, Campfire Programs at Summer Camp, Flag Raising and Lowering (Huge pet peve of mine, in my mind I think, "You best show respect for your country that is the United States of America when you are a Boy Scout of AMERICA."), Courts of Honor, and anywhere where a formal setting is present for ceremony or like a formal dinner or use discretion). Troop meetings, though, im my mind are not really mecessary places to wear an "A". It can be done, though. I do believe in a "B" uniform at troop meetings, though. There should be some preperation to get ready for the meeting to get the mindset fo Scout Business flowing through everyone's mind, which can be done by putting on some sort of Scout Uniform. The Scouts shouldn't just walk in in street clothes they wore to school or something. Some preperation for meetings is necessary for all Scouts and Scouters. So, if you want "A" uniforms, maybe wear yours for a while and get the other adults to do so, too, so you can talk it up to the Scouts in a month or so, but then I would suggest putting it in their hands. Don't be the dictator, but the guide who lurks in the shadows and pushes your boys back onto path whenever they are about to fall into the ditch that is on both sides of the road that is their path of learning and good memories (fun) in Scouting. Although, you could start with patrol t-shirts, which do promote brotherhood, especially among new Scouts and older, more experienced Scouts. Push slowly and earn and keep their respect and your life in Scouting is easy going and fulfilling, push hard, and you push the respect your Scouts have for you right off a cliff. My last statement is, remember, it is the Boy's Organization, Scouting and the Troop exists for them, and they need to lead and do what makes them comfortable, and ultimately keeps them arounds and involved both, and hopefully advancing; It's not about the end path necessarily, but the journey that gets you there; the Eagle rank is not really the important thing, but what the Scout learned along the way is what really matters in the big picture of things. :)

The Electrified Gear

Gearshocker- you have written a well thought post. However, I am still amazed at the controversy regarding uniforms. Growing up in the 80's I never heard of scouts not wanting to wear the uniform. The other night at our troop meeting I really looked around. 15 boys in attendance (approx. 1/3) and only 1 wore a neckerchief besides me. SPL was not wearing uniform. Most boys wore scout pants, 11 and 12 year olds, and some put uniform on and took off so as not to be seen. Whats the shame? At Scout camp where I staffed class "A" was always worn for dinner. Staff had to be in class A all the time. If you didnt have at least 3 shirts, it could get get a little ripe at dinner time! Do you remember 'Follow me boys'? If you get a chance to watch it again pay close attention to the uniforming of the troop. While it starts off with rag-tag and piecemeal uniforms, the boys gradually progress to where they all look sharp.

• 2 weeks later...

"Growing up in the 80's I never heard of scouts not wanting to wear the uniform."

I grew up in the '70's, and it was an issue then. In fact, an abrupt change to strict uniforming (like the one Gearshocker described) was one of the things that soured me on my Troop and caused me to quit. I think this kind of abrupt change is typically a sign that adult leaders have decided to "take charge."

Hunt-- We had uniform inspections after the opening of each meeting performed by the SPL, ASPL, & JASM. When I was in leadership I was a very thorough inspector. The troop I am currently involved in does not do an inspection. ( I have only been involved with this troop about a month and am still observing the goings-on.) At the end of the scout year the patrol with the most points was treated to a special camping weekend where the Adults did all the cooking and cleaning and just really served the patrol so they could have fun doing whatever they wanted.

I have just returned from a winter camp outing.

I am ASM and advisor of the honor patrol

I wear a class A uniform all the time at all activities.

It is permissible to wear a "class B" when not traveling or eating in our troop.

On Friday night my patrol all showed up in full uniform and one of the boys took his neckerchief off to put on his class B's for the evening's activities and his patrol leader walked by and quietly reminded him that we lead by example. He put his neckerchief back on and that patrol stayed in class A's all weekend long. By Saturday noon, there were a few others from other patrols who didn't take off their class A's after the noon meal and kept them on for the rest of the day.

The only time the neckerchiefs came off is when we had a first aid training session and the SPL asked for everyone's neckerchiefs so he could put a splint on a "broken ankle". The first three neckerchiefs were from the members of his patrol. Gloves, sticks and more neckerchiefs were quickly piled up for this use in the "emergency".

It was also kind of surprising to see that patrol with their 6' walking staves all have their personal first aid kits hanging on them. No one reminded or suggested they do so. Two of these staves were commandeered into service as litter poles for the boy with a "broken ankle".

Sometimes if you expect miracles, you actually get them. :)

Are uniforms and neckerchiefs important? Seems to be for this patrol.

"He put his neckerchief back on and that patrol stayed in class A's all weekend long."

These boys were wearing the BSA field uniform all weekend at a winter campout? If it was cold, I hope they had appropriate layers under and over the uniform, because the uniform itself is not really designed for that purpose.

:) It was cabin camping.... They wore their sweatshirts under their uniforms and when they went outside for outside activities they put a coat on. With boys this age, however, it would seem that mittens and caps were optional. It was in the 30's and the boys didn't seem to have issues with being cold which we as leaders watch for on activities such as these. The point being, the uniforms were not immediately stripped off after eating and thrown under their bunks so they could put their class B's on as quick as they possibly can.

"It was cabin camping."

Well, alrighty then. I was just airing my peeve that the field uniform is not all that well adapted for the field. The new zipoffs are a step in the right direction (although you'll need a warm layer under them). I wish there was a better way for scouts really dressed for cold weather to look like scouts (aside from buying really expensive BSA outerwear. Perhaps some kind of vest...(kidding!)

Also, as a new member, it is hard to tell who the Greenbar are and who are ASM's vs. committe members.

It should be easy to tell who the committee members are in a properly uniformed troop. Their position patch says Troop Committee! Where did this idea that committee members don't wear a uniform come about?

I often refer to my old 9th edition BSA handbook (1985 printing) for all my answers. On page 51 under SCOUT UNIFORM it says 'Your uniform is part of the thrill of being a scout. Put on your uniform and you feel ready for hiking, camping, and other active Scout events.' Under THE PARTS OF THE UNIFORM it says 'The Scout uniform consists of cap, beret or broad-brim hat, shirt, trousers or shorts, belt, socks or stockings, shoes or hike boots.' 'Throughout the world, the neckerchief is the mark of the uniform. Its color tells what troop you belong to.' On page 52 under WEARING THE SCOUT UNIFORM it says ' Wear your uniform proudly. Wear the complete uniform correctly at all Scout events: Wear it at all patrol and troop meetings, hikes, camps, and rallies. Wear it when you appear before a board of review or a court of honor. Wear it when you take part in any Scout service project. Wear it during Scouting Anniversary Week in February.' Has this changed in the newer printings of the BSA handbook? I am not a uniform enforcer and some kids just dont have the financial resources to have all the uniform parts. I can only set the example by proudly wearing my uniform fully and correctly.