green epaulettes on Tan class A

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, sure, they fit on da shoulder tabs. :)

If you're lookin' for the official guidelines, tho, then the answer is no. Green tabs only on the green uniform shirt (where they look pretty silly, IMHO. I like my grey tabs better on green than on tan, though).

But who cares, eh? If the kids use that as a way to express that they're proud of bein' in both programs, sounds good to me. Da crew (which can set its own uniform) can call it an "alternate crew uniform" for joint activities. ;)

I admit first that I don't know much about Venturing other than older son is in our Council's Venturing Crew #1, set up for mostly for summer camp staff, and wears the green shirt and green shoulder loops. He has, in the meantime, actually earned the Venturing Bronze (outdoor) Award during his tenure [sorry, shameful mother's pride for my son].

But, from what I've read on these forums, a Venturing Crew can determine its own uniform.

So, if a Venturing Crew decides it wants to wear a BSA official uniform rather than, say a polo shirt and blue jeans, cannot a Venturing Crew decide to wear the tan BSA shirt as its official uniform shirt and then wear the green shoulder loops?

nldscout - don't have my uniform guide nearby but what you posted sounds right. I only asked because I've read so much about Venturing Crews chosing to wear whatever they want to make up their uniform. So, I guess it also goes that the staff at our summer camp are incorrectly uniformed in that they wear the green shirts with the green pants instead of the gray pants. Is that right?

gwd-scouter

If you going to wear an official uniform you have to wear it correctly. If they are wearing green shirts with Boy Scout Green pants, thats a big NO-NO.

Call your Local Chief of the Uniform Police and have them issue some citations.

In the interest of accuracy, let's use the correct nomenclature.

Epaulets are the parts of the tan or green shirt that are permanently attached (sewn) at the shoulder seam and button near the collar.

The [insert color] "ribbons" that go on the epaulets (to denote the branch of scouting) are called shoulder loops.

There are no red epaulets or gray tabs. But we all knew that already, didn't we?(This message has been edited by oldsm)

All-

I wrote a Venturing Uniform FAQ that is available on-line at several sources, including the USScouting Website. Recommend it be read.

The rules are:

* Crews determine what, if anything is there uniform. (t-shirt, polos, whatever), HOWEVER:

* the tan BSA uniform is NOT to be worn by Venturers. The green venturing loops are NOT to be worn on the tan shirt. There is NOTHING that a dual-registered scout can wear on his uniform to indicate he is a Venturer, unless is the Venturing awards.

* the green BSA uniform is an obtion for those involved in Venturing who want to (or need to) wear a BSA uniform. If you are at an event which requires a BSA uniform (NOAC, OA events, National Jamboree, World Jamboree), the green Venturing shirt is what you need to wear. You MUST follow all BSA insignia rules regard the green Venturing shirt, btw.

Interesting thread, it does give a subtle hint to the notions and conceptions people have about Venturing. So, somebody hears that Venturing Crews can "make-up" their own uniform, so they assume it would be ok if a Crew decided to adopt the Cub Scout uniform as the Crew uniform, this may sound silly to some, but if the Crew has some hard core EMO fans, it could work especially if the front is tied up to expose a bare midriff (EMO is a style of music, usually it consists of 5 guys dressed all in black and heavy make-up, usually one is crying). But, no they can't really do this. The Crew can't adopt the Cub or Boy Scout uniform, it can use the Venturing uniform of course. Now, this is where it gets interesting for Camp Crews. I have seen plenty of camps where the staff wear Venturing green shirts and then boy scout uniform shorts. The reason is simple, the girls cant wear the tan boy scout shirt and no body wants to buy the Venturing shorts so they wear boy scout shorts. So, the very role models most scouts look up too and want to be like are wearing an incorrect uniform. OK, so it doesnt seem like a big deal, but when a scouter tries to keep his Crew from adopting the Green shirt, boy scout short uniform he is placed in the position of explaining the Camp Staff, the "best" scouts the scouts have seen are doing it wrong. It does lead some scouts to wonder where the staff is wrong in other areas and thats not a path we want to start down. Maybe the best approach would be to have the staff wear the Venturing shirts with wheat colored dockers or similar pants or wheat colored shorts, anything but official boy scout shorts. Anyway, no green tabs on the tan boy scout shirt. Then again there is an adult in the district who wears silver, green and red tabs on his uniform as he is a committee member of a troop, a crew and is the OA chapter advisor so I guess I shouldnt complain too loudly at a single tab being of the wrong color.

• 5 weeks later...

The correct answer as many have already mentioned in this thread is

simple: NO GREEN LOOPS ON A TAN UNIFORM.

This is stated in both the Ingignia Guide and the Venturing Leaders Guide.

As for the Adult leader wearing multiple colored loops, he is just plain wrong. A very sad example to the youth.

Does this poor example of a leader wear three different patches (for each position)wrapped around his sleeve (or all in a row if it's a long sleeve)?

Does he also wear unauthorized knots too?

Does he also wear unauthorized knots too?

ooohh No! Clap the man in irons! Have him shot at dawn! ;)

I at one point in my scoutin' career was authorized to wear blue,red,green,grey, and gold tabs. Never thought about doin' em all at once. Heck, maybe it would have gotten me to start a Team just so I could add orange :) Could even become a Broadway play: "Beavah and the Technicolor Dream Loops"

I think the dual-registered youth should wear one red and one green loop, with da unit of primary registration on the left shoulder closest to the heart. Although wearin' red loops on da green shirt to show you're dual registered in a troop sure does look good for the Christmas Season. Maybe it should be authorized only for December :)

Yah, generally people should stick with the guidebook, eh? But kids'll be kids, and all of us like to throw a small bit of individuality into our uniform. It's like spice. A little creativity, flexibility, and friendly tolerance adds flavor. Too much is bad taste.

Beavah,

Along the lines of this post and the one on authority let me ask you for your opinion. I'm newly associated with a troop which has been continually chartered for 95 years. They have some traditions which go back quite a way. One of the things they do is have all the boys above First Class wear the green Venturing shirt. They have found over the years that this aids in retention of older boys. My question is do you think this is one of the "authority" issues which the local unit/CO have the "authority" to decide?

LongHaul