I need some help

I have been offered some Sea Scout Uniforms at the best possible price -Yes Free!!

But I don't know how to convert mens sizes to female sizes!!

None of our female Scouts seem to be big busted?

So I'm thinking that a male med shirt is much the same as a female shirt only the buttons will be on the wrong side.

But pants seem to be a problem.

I need to know what size female sizes 12, 14, 16 are in male sizes.

Only ever having a son I have never had to deal with this before. I'm told that the problem is in the hips.

If anyone knows where I'd find this information I'd be a very happy little camper.

Eamonn.

Boy..that's a tough one! I think that the best you're going to be able to do is to have them try them on and see what fits!! The hips are generally the hardest place to get a good fit with the girls pants...I know that's not much help but good luck figuring it out!!

sue m.

Eamonn,

Try calling Land's End Direct Merchants (800-356-4444). They might be able to help.

If these are US Government uniforms, the sizes are based on body height, waist size, chest size, and inseam, irregardless of gender.

It is approximate, but:

12=32

14=34

16=36

It is a good starting point for having the young women try the pants on, since depending on how "hippy" they are, they may need a size bigger than what they would wear in a women's size.

Edited to add: As far as the shirts go, generally a woman would take one size smaller in a men's (i.e., if she wears a medium misses, then she would probably wear a small mens)

Good luck!(This message has been edited by DanKroh)

Women in general do NOT fit your regular, standard sizes. Even in women's sizes, what is a 12 in one brand could be a 10 or a 14 in another. Also, depending on your girls tastes, some might like them looser than others.

If you want the uniforms to fit the girls, have them go to a retail store selling them & try on the men's sizes.

Eamonn,

I don't relish the conversion job you have!

Unfortunately (sp?) manufacturers of female clothing do not have a standard size as ScoutNut has said which makes buying clothes very difficult & frustrating! I am overweight & my upper arms are large & you'd think that the larger sizes would have the sleeves bigger! No, at times I have to take a larger size just to fit my upper arms! The same with shoes & sneakers.

The best thing would be to have the females try the uniforms on to see what fits them best. Good luck!

Judy

P.S. I'm "Slightly hippy" too! ;)

Boy am I getting an education.

I have found that some of the problem isn't the size it's where they wear their pants/slacks!!

I have always been very lucky and have been able to buy clothes off the rack.

OJ isn't difficult only he has big feet!!

Is it possible that feet are getting bigger?

If we were paying for these uniforms I could send a list of the sizes to the seller, but the Skipper who is giving them to us is as much in the dark as I am when it comes to converting male to female clothing.

The most useful site that I found on the web was one for cross-dressers!!

I can just imagine if the FBI ever took my hard drive they would all sorts of questions.

Eamonn.