Class A or B for service project

Ditto. The nature of the activity should determine what to wear. If it's a dirty, outdoor activity, then it would be ridiculous to require class As. However, if you are helping out at a nursing home, then it would be entirely appropriate to ask scouts to wear them.

Our troop does some church homeless shelter work a couple of times a month, and they instruct us to not wear our uniforms. For safety sake, they prefer the workers to be more or less "anonymous". So, as Eagle and nldscout said, the clothes should match the activity.

And, ok, I'll throw this out there because I know it'll get said...there really isn't a Class A or Class B uniform, but we all know what they mean, right? :)

Gilski, do you mean that what ever service they do, even if it is on their own without the Troop, that they have to be in uniform?

That seems rather unrealistic to me. It also is rather contrary to the BSA stating that BSA uniforms should be worn primarly for Scouting Activities.

What if they are participating in a marathon to support cancer research? They can't run in their uniform & even if it was practical to do so they can't wear the uniform to raise money for another orgnization.

How about painting. Those pants are expensive, & getting mud & grass from camp on them is bad enough. If you want them to paint in uniform then you had better have a new uniform to hand them when they are through!

What about participating in a play to bring in food for a food pantry? I doubt that Peter Pan in a BSA uniform would "fly"!

Technically there is no "Class A" or "Class B" uniform. There is the official Cub/Boy Scout uniforms. (Crew's make up their own)

That said our Pack, Troop and Crew all have there own T-shirts which they call there "Class B" for outdoor (or just dirty/messy) activities.

As a parent, I really don't want to keep buying shirts because of stains. (I buy enough because they out grow them!)

As a leader, I want to see the boys in a uniform/shirt that represents scouting while on outdoor activities such as a service project, to make the boys proud of their service, and to let the public see that Scouts are serving the community.

So to echo my fellow posting scouters, let common sense prevail.