Webelo Colors Placement & Usage

I understand the Webelo Colors is pinned below the American flag (but still touching it), and if a den number is used it goes beneath it. My question is if a den chooses to wear a den emblem instead of their den number where are the colors pinned at? Do you pin them beneath the flag which would make the colors cover the den emblem, if you do, what is the since of having a den emblem to wear since it won't be seen? Or do you pin them beneath the den emblem since it is in effect like a den number? Do other Webelo dens wear their colors all the time or only at special events (Pack Meetings, etc.)? Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

According to the insignia guide the webelos colors "covers den emblem and quality unit insignia". I can't help you with the point of having the emblem if itis covered except to suggest that it might not be covered fully (would need to actually try it to find out how it looks).

You've asked a good question. The colors do not need to be worn all the time. In fact, since they are pinned on, they can be pulled off or lose a backing (had that happen to my own son). Also, some boys complain that the colors can feel uncomfortable. The recommendation was made to the unit I was with to consider wearing the Webelos colors for pack meetings and special events, but perhaps to forego wearing them at all den meetings or to camp.

We also only used the colors at ceremonies. In fact, they tend to pop off and shed pins so easily that they become a liability at more active meetings!

The colors are a traditional element of Cub Scouting with a rich history behind them, and I'd vote them outta here in a heartbeat! At least they are better than the hat pin idea.

I would support the Webelos colors. They are a place to pin the activity badges. Sadly they are being pushed aside.

My boys have a flag, a Texas longhorn patrol patch, and quality unit.

Move the quality unit right under the pack number. That way people can see which unit is a quality unit!

Keep the colors, I wore one, my kid wears one, I want my grandkids to wear em'. Tradition is under attack everywhere let's keep this one.

The boys like them- we just take them off for rough housing.

Moving quality unit to under unit numeral pushed position patch off shirts with smaller sleeves- we already have CSP, veteran unit bar, numerals, position patch and trained strip on that sleeve.

As for traditions- I am all for keeping taditions that make and made sense. The floppy and often flimsy Colors never made much sense to me- kinda like the Sports and Academics Pins.

I think we could come up with a better plan if we put our heads to it.

Belt loops are out- the Cub belt is one size and the Scout is another- unless we asked all Webelos ot wear the tan- buit then the S&A program loops would not fit.

I KNOW this is WAY off topic, but I'd sorta like to see the whole Cub/Webelos advancement and recognition program re-worked so the boys earned recognition 'small and big'- small recognitions would be a pin and would be awarded for 'dabbling' in a topic area- sort of like the old Boy Scout belt loops, or the S&A loops, Electives, etc.

Big awards would be Merit Badge-like patches earned for digging deeper into a subject.

Ranks would require so many pins and so many patches.

This way, we could use a Cub Scout sash to display accomplishments and clean up the uniform some. Sahses are also great for memories!

• 4 weeks later...