red wool jac-shirt

All

I read a post here in the past month talking about a place where you can get the red wool jac-shirt at a cheaper price.

I searched for it but did not find it.

If someone has the web link could they please email it to me?

Thanks,

Mark Maranto

Hendrickms24 @ yahoo.com

I guess my question is, Why would you want one?

I had one as a boy in the 70's. I sewed patches all over the back. It was too warm to wear indoors to show off my patches. It had no ability to stop wind so was useless outdoors. The patches did provide a very minumial wind break but I was always cold wearing it outdoors.

I would recommend a flannel lined windbreaker instead. It packs smaller, stops the wind, is warmer outside and cooler indoors, and costs 1/3 the price. If it gets grimey, just throw it in the washing machine and dryer. The wool jack will have to be dry cleaned.

The only advantage I see to the wool jac is sparks from the fire will only burn small holes in it instead of potenially blazing up.

While it may look spiffy, I found it to be the most useless piece of uniform I ever had.

"I found it to be the most useless piece of uniform I ever had. "

I think the opposite actually...

I wore mine in the winter and it was quite warm. Sure it did not stop the wind, but does any coat really STOP the wind...maybe slightly but not enough to feel a difference IMO. When its 10 degrees out, there not much difference between a warm windbreaker or a warm wool coat. It all about the layering either way.

I find the wool coat to be quite usefull,and also very flexible. I always hated bulky coats because when doing activities scouts look kike stay-puffued marshmellow men! With the wool coat I felt more versatile. It sure is spiffy looking though isn't it? The cost on the other hand takes my breath away... I wonder if they allow loans for those things :)

YIS

I was just checking out the Jac-Shirt offererd on that website. I don't think it is an official BSA coat. Although it lookis quite similar and has the patch, it has "slanted slash pockets" on the front of it.

The Official Jac-Shirt sold through the Scout Catalog has NO "slanted slash pockets"...

YIS

You're right. BSA products are sold only through BSA and a few licensed retailers. The coat offered on that web site is a nice red coat that is similar to the BSA Jac-Shirt. The fact they throw in an illegal knockoff patch doesn't make it a BSA Jac-Shirt.

All,

I received an email right after I post

this thread and it pointed me to the BSA Northern Tier National High Adventure Trading Post. The price of the jack was about $115 even though its post on their

web site as $90. I have never owned one of these Jacket but I've worn Civil War era uniforms (that are Wool)when I do living history events for the public.

These uniforms do not break the wind either but its all about the layering of your clothing.

http://www.ntier.org/

Mark Maranto

(This message has been edited by hendrickms24)