Adult Uniformed Leaders

So, am I the only one that finds it somewhat hypocritical to say that you can represent Scouting at a Scouting fundraiser and drink if you are in civilian cloths but if you put on the uniform you can't drink?

So the clothing you are wearing determines what is right and wrong? I though ideals and values and all that should apply both in and out of uniform.

If it isn't right to do it in uniform, then anyone who is representing the district/council at such an event shouldn't do it in civilian cloths either. If I go with my troop on a camping trip, it doesn't matter if I wear the uniform or blue jeans and a T-shirt. I am still an Assistant Scoutmaster in the troop and should be expected to perform and behave as such.

Now, I personally don't really see anything wrong with the guy in uniform having the drink. I probably wouldn't drink in uniform, but then I don't really drink in the first place.

Actually, come to think of it, I have consumed what is chemically speaking alcohol while in uniform, while at several Scouting events, most of which were while I was a youth. In all cases their were other youth and adults in uniform present. I am not going to mention the exact circumstances, I will leave that to everyone's own imagination.(This message has been edited by Proud Eagle)

I guess I wouldn't want to take the chance that a photo of a Scouter in uniform holding an alcoholic drink would get out, but...I thought BSA's issue was with underage drinking, not with drinking per se. The reason not to drink in uniform is in order to set a good example for the youth, and if there are no youth present, I'm not sure what the issue is...except for that pesky photographer.

>Bottom line, if you are registered and have any dealing with the boys (that includes Committee members),>

Eamonn and SRxxxBeaver have illustrated our troop's rule with the above statement. In fact, this is almost exactly what I was told when I asked if I should buy a uniform as the Treasurer who also camps. After registration, before I was trained, I bought a shirt. A few weeks later I got the rest, "in for a penny, in for a pound", after all. Shirt was awfully plain, but that got fixed in a hurry:

Wearing the uniform should be a since of pride. The rule in each troop is different, but if one is wearing the uniform everyone should. We are leaders and the boys look up to us. If we, as leaders, do not wear the uniform, the boys will not. I understand that we all work and sometimes we can't always change before the weekly meetings, but when we go camping or fundraising, we should all look like a unit.

Drinking in uniform, come on people! Look at who we are representing. The BOY SCOUTS! We are not the United States Marine Corps or any other branch of the uniformed services. We are leaders, do you want your little boy drinking in uniform?

After reading the entire forum, I neglected to see the true answer... Why not ask the Master?

Sir, What do you think, I ask. The answer is below.

THE SCOUT UNIFORM

I have often said, "I don't care a fig whether a Scout wears a uniform or not so long as his heart is in his work and he carries out the Scout Law." But the fact is that there is hardly a Scout who does not wear uniform if he can afford to buy it.

The spirit prompts him to it.

The same rule applies naturally to those who carry on the Scout Movement-the Scoutmasters and Commissioners; there is no obligation -on them to wear uniform if they don't like it. At the same time, they have in their positions to think of others rather than of themselves.

Personally, I put on uniform, even if I have only a Patrol to inspect, because I am certain that it raises the moral tone of the boys. It heightens their estimation of their uniform when they see it is not beneath a grown man to wear it; it heightens their estimation of themselves when they find themselves taken seriously by men who also count it of importance to be in the same brotherhood with them.

Smartness in uniform and correctness in detail may seem a small matter, but has, its value in the development of self-respect, and means an immense deal to the reputation of the Movement among outsiders who judge by what they see.

It is largely a matter of example. Show me a slackly-dressed Troop and I can "Sherlock" a slackly-dressed Scoutmaster. Think of it, when you are fitting on your uniform or putting that final saucy cock to your hat.

You are the model to your boys and your smartness will reflect itself in them.

Lord Baden-Powell of Gilwell

Aids to Scoutmastership

A guidebook for Scoutmasters on the theory of Scout training

Thank you sir for having the timeless message that you left for all of us!! Your thoughts, inspirations and teachings have been so helpful to those that us them. I am in your debt.

Knotty Fox

Well Proud Eagle, I'm glad to know that you participated in religious ceremonies in uniform. That would be the only comsumption of alcohol I would be comfortable doing in uniform.

As for the topic, I would hope that no Troop would discourage, or worse prohibit, any registered adult from wearing a uniform.