Region Patches

Members of the Regional Board, which would include: Regional President. Regional Vice Presidents,Operations Group Area Presidents,Area Vice Presidents Cluster Cluster Councils, Area Task Force Groups, Region Executive Staff, Area Directors,Some Regional Support Staff.

Two youth members sit on the Regional board one from Venturing and one from the OA. It would be possible for these youth members to be under 18.

At special events such as the National Jamboree other people may be asked to perform duties for the Region and may wear the Regional patch and yellow loops for the event.

Hope this helps.

Eamonn

• 3 months later...

At last nights Jambo meeting, all members of the contingent troops were given region patches (36 youth, four adult leaders times five contingent troops). A discussion ensued about who should wear the patch and the consensus, right or wrong, was that all would wear the patch on their right sleeve below the flag.

The one page uniform inspection sheets don't mention region patches. I'll have to check my insignia guide at home tonight. I've seen on unofficial sites, "Adults may wear the appropriate region patch on their right sleeve" but that is all.

On another thread on this forum (RE: Adult Uniform -- Right Sleeve?) was the statement from Scout Commish, "The insignia guide (03-05 version) states "This insignia is reserved for regional officers, regional committee members, local council professional Scouters, and national staff with a regional responsibility..." "Adult regional world and national jamboree contingent staff and leaders may wear the insignia only during their assignment at the jamboree. The same rule applies to specifically designed regional insignia for a national event.""(This message has been edited by acco40)

I don't think that Troops attending the National Jamboree should be wearing a Regional Patch. They are attending as representatives of the Council from where they come from.

Many Jamboree staff members are part of a team that has been put together by a Region and these people are representing their Region.

While the wording is a little unclear about National Jamboree leaders it makes no mention of youth wearing the patch.

(Page 48 of the Insignia Guide)

Eamonn.

Thanks for the reference Eamonn. Now for the more difficult task - right now the patches are in the hands of the contingent troop SMs or QMs and not the youth. How would I "delicately" communicate to them that the region patch may not be appropriate for youth wear without coming across as the proverbial uniform police. I'm going to suggest that we give them to the youth but suggest that they use them for "trade bait" once at Jambo.

I first attended a Jamboree (as a visitor) in 1977, even then the scouts wore a region patch to show they were part of a council contigency from that region. Jamboree is a unique event and has its own uniform adaptations that are to exist only until the jamboree ends and then the region patches should come off. Rather than try to take back patches that you do not need to, just make sure the scouts and scouters understand where they go and when they come off.

Understood, BW, but the bigger question is should the youth wear them in the first place? Not much of an issue in the big picture but just curious. I'll have to comb through the insignia guide tonight.

You will not find the answer in to this one in the Insignia Guide. Jamboree is a unique event hosted by national, the folks who make the rules, they have unique uniforming for this event you will not find Jamboree uniforming in that manual.

I have hunted around the Jambo web site and can find lots of references to proper uniforming, but I'm unable to get closer than that.

That isn't to say it's not there, just that I can't find it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Eamonn.

If regional patches are worn, they are worn on the right sleeve below everything else. Usually, the only local scouters who wear region patches are those serving on staff positions at the jamboree. But like Bob said, this is a special event. If a contigency troop wants to wear region patches at the jamboree, and their council exec has authorized it, more power to them.

Jeff

Not to cloud the issue with what makes sense to me, but what the heck?

It makes sense to me (if there's nothing specifically prohibiting it) for youth at the Jamboree to wear the patch of their Region while attending the Jamboree.

Here's my thinking . . .

The The troop number on a boy's shirt identifies to others who don't know him, with his troop.

The council strip further identifies the boy (or Scouter) to others which council they belong to. This is sufficient in most cases, even in multi-council events such as Pow Wows or Universities of Scouting, etc.

The Region patch will be helpful at the Jamboree to at least narrow down what part of the country the council, and thus the boy, is in. This can generate conversations, etc.

Besides, why rob a boy of a patch he can/could wear in a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . especially if no rule prohibits it?

Now, you must belong to my little club of "if it doesn't say you CAN'T and you can't think of a reason or find a reason to not do it . . it may be okay to do it.

Where we get into trouble is when we look for reasons an existing rule does not apply to our situation. There's a difference.

My .02.

Unc