Activity Uniform Shirts

The activiy uniform is supposed to consist of a Troop or Camp (Interpreted as a Scout related T-Shirt) and either the official pants or shorts.

But what constitutes an "official" activity shirt? I have seen a great number of them - some sold in Scout shops, others made available at Scout camps, training courses, etc. And some units have their own made? Some are T-shirts (both long and short sleeved), polo style shirts, and sweatshirts.

Can anyone make or have made a Scout related activity shirt? Are there any requirements about standards for such shirts?

I can't find anything about this in the Insignia Guide.

In our unit, we define the acitivty uniform as official Scout pants or shorts with a "Scout related" Activiy shirt. Since our unit has no Troop T-shirt, we allow them to wear any Scout related T-Shirt or a PLAIN T-Shirt with no logos.

I know of one troop whose "activity shirt" is a plain white t-shirt.

Does anyone have the official standing on this or know where I can get it?

Thanks

The Insignia Guide addresses "Scouting Identification" on page 6.

Says it is mandatory that all badges worn on BSA uniforms include one of the follow (and "one" is in bold print).

Corporate Name (Boy Scouts of America)

Corporate initials (BSA)

BSA fleur-de-lis (universal with Eagle or plain one-color)

Venturing, BSA; Venturing

Then there is a requirement that all badges be approved bu the national office.

But nothing is said about uniform parts such as shirts.....

My advice is to interpret "Scout related" to "Scouting appropriate." Most of the boys have T-shirts that they have bought at summer camp, jamborees, camporees, etc. Some have "commercial" shirts that may have an American Flag depicted. Instead of trying to define what is acceptable, it may be easier to define what is not - political, slang, offensive, etc. type slogans would not be appropriate in my book.

Now, when dealing with teenagers ... My son's favorite t-shirt is one he picked up in Chicago on a school field trip. It is plain black with white lettering on the front that reads (I think) in large bold letters - HOMICIDE and then in slightly smaller print, "When your day ends, ours is just starting. - Chicago Police Dept." Why his fascination, I don't know. I don't like it, but part of growing up is asserting your independence so I don't make a real big deal out of it.

As for non-Scout related activity shirts.

We tell our Scouts that if they do not have a Scout related T-shirt, they should wear plain shirts.

However, shirts with US Flags, other national patriotic images, state or national parks, etc, won't result in a negative response. We do discourage commercial logos, anything violating the Scout Oath or Law, illegal activities, sports teams, etc. The only problem we ever had was one Scout who insisted on wearing a black t-shirt with a large green marijuana leaf on the front. He agreed to take it off but wanted to go home over it.

We are reasonable - and so are most of the Scouts. They all know what the rules are and what is appropriate. As the saying goes, there is a time and a place...

We were at summer camp last year on the 4th of July and even I wore a white t-shirt with a large U.S. Flag on it, a navy blue cap with a U.S. Flag patch on the front and a pewter belt buckle depicting the "Spirit of 1776" on it. No one said anything.

After the first year, most Scouts and Scouters have a least one Scout related t-shirt - most of them want them. It is hot in TX!

For the troop I am a member of...

It must be either the current, or an older version of, the troop T-shirt. Most of ours are red, with large screen printed logo on the front. The logo includes a large BSA emblem, troop number, and home town. There have been others, but that has been the norm.

We have also been one of those units to use an A, B, C, method of identifying uniforms. With A being the field, B the activities (w/troop T-shirt), and C being a Scouting T-shirt with appropriate looking other clothing.

The camp I worked at requested that all staff and Scouts wear either plain or Scouting related shirts. However, it was only inforced on the staff. (Some units enforced policies of their own). I certainly see nothing wrong with a patriotic shirt, particularly at camp, or something like that. Though it would be better if everyone had something more uniform when interacting with the public.