Convertible Scout pants/shorts

A quick poll:

Who here would be interested in the BSA coming out with Scout pants that could be converted to shorts by removing the pant legs that would be attached with Zippers or possible velco?

I know this has been discuss before.

Personally, give the high cost of the low quality Scout uniform pants, and the fact that many in Scouting wear both pants and shorts, I think that convertible pants/shorts would be a great idea.

Perhaps the military rejected such a design, but the BSA isn't the miliary. Our uniforms are used for different purposes under different conditions than the military.

As for the components of convertible pants/shorts fading at different rates - easy solution, wash all the components together, every time.

Also, I think the pants/shorts should have snaps or velco to secure all the pockets to prevent loss of contents.

Who could we contact at the BSA to suggest convertible pants/shorts?

Thanks.

My son would LOVE this option. He practically lives in his convertible jeans, especially in a Michigan autumn, when he rides his bike to school in 40 degree weather and comes home in 70 degree weather.

And it would sure beat having to have both long and short Scout pants.

Count me in!

Elizabeth

Nothing like seeing a troop of boy scouts in a parade, with the upper parts of their pants all faded just a little different from everyone else's although the bottoms parts will be slightly off as well. I hope the scout shops will have replacment legs to replace lost ones and maybe they can sell diferent lengths to keep up with growth spurts(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

In the meantime, check out the convertible pants from Galyans. They make a good looking dark/forest green that's 100% nylon. And important for the Scouts (and myself), the shorts actually come down to the top of the knees. Web belt included - I believe the belt loops would easily accomodate the scout belt. Price was $25. If you're a "member" (free discount card) I believe you get 10% off of all Galyans brand purchases.

OGE - great idea on the "lengthening" pants legs!

--Gags

I have no problem with this, however, I think by changing the pants/shorts color to tan to match the shirt would resolve the fading problem. I don't like the tan pants idea, but I have a funny feeling thats the next big uniform change.

One other thing. Convertable pants/shorts are OK so long as the BSA still carries proper trousers for those of us that are a little more behind the times with fashion.

Don't quote me on this, because I doubt that it is correct. At our last adult leader Jamboree meeting, one of our council professionals seemed to be under the impression that BSA IS coming out with this option soon. She was going to check into it as our boys are required to have three full uniforms for Jamboree and the topic came up that it would be great if we had convertible pants to take. I'll let you know if I hear anything else about it.

Owl62,

http://www.scoutstuff.org/

You have to navigate around a little bit to get to the poll. You can type in a message at the Frequently Asked Questions. I don't know how much good those routes will do. I guess you could always write them a letter or call. Hope this helps.

BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

SUPPLY DIVISION NATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

P.O. Box 7143, Charlotte, NC 28241-7143 1-800-323-0732

Customer Opinion Poll Share your ideas and opinions to assist us in meeting your equipment, uniform, and merchandise needs.

Frequently Asked Questions

Use the form below to submit your question for our "Frequently Asked Questions" page.

Question: (you can type in here)

NOTE: Questions submitted via this form will be considered for future addition to the "Frequently Asked Questions" Web page not all questions will be answered via the Web site.

If your question requires prompt or individual attention, please call the National Supply Division at 1-800-323-0732.