what happened to supply divisions historic gear thing

Over the past few years supply division has introduced many old historic equipment items only to remove them a year or two later. Canvas yucca packs were available, as were canvas duffel bags and wooden cots, the canvas pup tent, historic red and black patrol badges, the belt loop kits, an official bugle, semaphore flags, and the 1911 scout handbook was also reproduced and is still available. I was wondering why I don't see any of these scouting items available in th 2004 catalog. did they drop the historic gear program? Does anybody know what the deal is?

I dont know why they do not offer any Historic gear either. I miss it. I bought almost all of the Historic gear and literary stuff. Maybe they didn't sell well? Collectors of Historic gear probably jumped on it, but the general masses of scouts...? I know in my Troop out of 40+ scouts, I was the only one that ever purchased anything.

• 2 months later...

I just went into the new "national" scout shop in Westchester Putnam Council and found for sale full square neckerchiefs with a reprint of the 1923 book "Scouting with a neckerchief" and enough rope to make a turks head slide. $20.00 for the package. I recommed all scouters to buy one. They come in about six different colors, even blue and gold for use cub leaders.

I talked to the employee who said that alot of scouters have been asking for two items: the OD necktie to wear with the uniform (as show on the uniform inspection sheets) and field caps.

I think we like minded people need to start a letter writting campaign to have the BSA bring back some older items including the historical equipment. With our 100th anniversary approaching, I would like to see a reintroduction of an OD colored scouter uniform, with necktie. Or how about this, a dress jacket (tunic) made in the same material as the poly/wool field uniform. I have two dress uniforms circa 1970, complete with jacket (actually called a blouse-it has three buttons down the frount and four pockets-like an army dress jacket) and I am always complemented on how it looks. Well, lets get the BSA to reproduce that.