New Australian Scout Uniform

Oz Emu mentioned their new uniform so I went looking for it and found it at http://www.scouts.com.au/general/index.asp?iShellID=675&sKeyword=SOZ_SEARCH

He's right, it does look like it came from Burger King. Gotta wonder how that came about. Was it designed by folks that never talked to anyone involved in Scouting and then the Pooh-bahs were afraid to not like because it would be like the Emperors New Clothes. "If you don't like the uniform, there's something wrong with you." What sense does a dark blue uniform make in a land where they don't even put heaters into cars (that's what Car and Driver said about 15 years ago).

Of course, if such at thing happened here, there are those who would insist that it was a great uniform because it is the BSA uniform.

You know, it actually reminds me more of the Starfleet uniforms from Star Trek than anything else. I can't speak for the average Australian by any means, or even the average American for that matter, but I would certainly want no part of such a uniform.

hmmmmmmmm....maybe I'll order a set. Might need it if I get a job parking cars on the Hollywood strip...

more serious though, this Yank see's one hideous set of duds. Wonder what the Aussies feel about them...

well mates, pass the Vegimite please...

Gday Y'all,

I was at the 2001 Australian Jamboree when the "new and improved" inform were first introduced. People there were told the uniforms were the ones selected by a panel of scout aged youth from various areas of Australia not scouts themselves but youth of scout age as well as scouts and scouter's although no one seemed to know of anyone who was asked and scouting HQ wasn't saying.

The reaction by scouts and venture was universal, to put it politely "YUCK" Leaders thought it made a decent looking activity uniform but as a formal uniform to be presented a Queen's Scout award it came up short. The reaction by those at scouting HQ was "This is the new uniform get used to it"

If the uniform folks at BSA are watching this thread please, please, pleeeeease Don't do this at home!

AK-Eagle

Some of us here say we like the current BSA uniforms and some of us say we hate them. But aren't we all glad we don't have to wear the new Australian uniform?? I did not see anything wrong with their current uniforms. Although it is an interesting way to identify what division of the scouts you are in...by colours on the sleeves...

Between their new uniform and our current uniforms (cubs, boy scouts, venturers, sea scouts, varsity scouts) I choose all of our current styles!

"Some of us here say we like the current BSA uniforms and some of us say we hate them."

I don't necessarily dislike the style (although elastic waistbands can go back on the drawing board), I just dislike the construction.

"But aren't we all glad we don't have to wear the new Australian uniform??"

You betchum, Red Ryder!

"I did not see anything wrong with their current uniforms."

Probably an image consultant, the same ones that convinced BSA that the new handbook was a good design, convinced them that they needed a contemporary uniform to "update their image."

The Navy tried a revolutionary update to the sailor suit back in the 70s and it was a miserable failure. The Marine Corps dress uniform has remained essentially the same for around 100 years and they don't have an image problem.

We live in a world where fashion comes and goes around in circles, where buzz cut hair styles were a thing of the past is now the norm again. bell-bottoms are alive and well again, same with the 80's punk style. Things that were once old and gone, come back all the time.

I am impressed by the military when it comes to their uniforms, they are consistant. Some fashions are timeless, like the Marine uniform that FOG discusses. They do NOT have an image problem. This may be because they never tried to change it all that much. They are consistant, when you see those blue threads red stripe down the leg and that white hat, you know its a Marine. (Other branches of the militray has changed and updated their uniforms over time as most of you know, ie the Army, I am just talking about the marines image though here)

The BSA should stick with what worked/works. They should put together a unifrom that is a true image of a Boy Scout. Campaign Hat, neckercheif... Thats what I see when I think Boy Scout. If they did not change so often and could choose one uniform to last through the years we would have a SOLID image. Not to say the uniform should be the same as it was in 1920... It's a question to ponder..

"If they did not change so often and could choose one uniform to last through the years we would have a SOLID image."

In BSA's defence, they kept the same uniform for about 50 years with minor updates. In the 70s, the shirt changed a bit by getting rid of the pleated pockets and the pants lost those nifty pocket flaps.

After that, for 25 years they've kept the uniform pretty much the same except that they keep messing with the pants. I haven't run across anyone except a mother who likes the elastic waitband. Why not just go back to the simple jeans cut pants or something like a pair of dress pants. Since no one wears the field uniform in the field, why bother with the cargo pockets?

You guys are making me depressed.

AK was right. The head shed asked non Scouts what turned them off Scouting. Uniform was high on the list. This isn't to say that by changing the uniform they would join. IMHO the image is not just the threads.

I don't know anyone who likes the new design.

We could make our feelings known by www. But would you know it you could only vote for the various styles proposed - not for retaining the existing uniform.

The new uniform comes out mid year. They are changing the badges too I think as the existing set and lay out will not go on the new shirt very well. Maybe not - haven't seen anything since a really rough idea in 2001.

For myself I will retain the old uniform as long as possible. I suspect the PLC will also vote for this given their most recent statements. We have three years from when they hit the shelves to change over.

My reasons:

It is ugly

It is not robust

There are not enough pockets

The trial uniform was hot to wear

It loses the old image and gains nothing - yes I know that is why they are doing it.

"AK was right. The head shed asked non Scouts what turned them off Scouting. Uniform was high on the list. This isn't to say that by changing the uniform they would join."

I've seen this happen more than once in other organizations.