My Son just moved from Weblos to a Scout Troop and I am A little confused about some "rules" that have been communicated to me. Can a Weblo crossing over still wear his Service Star from Cubs? (with the yellow background) We have been told that nothing can cross over but the "Arrow of Light" patch. The BSA insignia guide is not specific, but there are plenty of pictures on BSA literature that show Scouts with a Yellow Cub Service Star next to their Scout Service Star.

My Son was also told to remove his World Crest, because the Troop has decided not to wear it. The World crest has meaning to me due to my Trans-Atlantic Council background and I have (to Date) refused to remove it.

What's the deal?

Yes, he can still wear his yellow back servicwe star, His Arrow of light strip below his left shirt pocket AND his World Crest over the left pocket and a little below the shoulder seam. The crest is a personal option on the uniform representing the world wide brotherhood of scouting.

See the Insignia Guide 2003-2005

Yes, I see it is an option according to the BSA Insignia Guide, but other than a new Scout not having sewn it on yet it is very unusual to see it missing. Why would a troop decide to not wear the World Crest? Who could possibly have an objection to being part of the world brotherhood of Scouting? Was that a decision of the SM, the troop committee or the PLC? It is difficult to imagine why even an individual would object to the patch let alone a whole troop. Since it is an individual option could a boy choose to wear it despite the troops rules? I know the long history of this patch too (going back to the World Jamboree in 1955) and originally it was a coveted international honor in the WOSM. As you know it was informally known as the "overseas patch." Some old-timers who earned it might have regrets about it now being worn by everyone, but since 1991 it has been a "symbol of membership in the World Scouting movement."(This message has been edited by KA6BSA)

Bob, Bob, Bob, Bob . . .

I'm shocked. " his World Crest over the left pocket and a little below the shoulder seam." That is soooo wrong.

The world crest is "centered horizontally over the left pocket and vertically between shoulder seam and top of pocket." That's a lot different than "a little below."

What's this world coming to?

Service stars carry over from level to level. It is concievable that a Scout or Scouter could wear a star with an orange back to show his time in Tiger Cubs, a star with a yellow back to show his time in Cub Scouts, a star with green back to show his time in Boy Scouts, and this is not even getting into the stars for Varsity Scouts or Exploring(old days)/Venturing. Of course, adults may also wear a star with a blue background to show their time as an adult volunteer. Another option for adults is to combine all of their youth years with their adult time and wear just stars with blue backgrounds.

The Arrow of Light patch is worn. If he earned his religious medal as a Cub Scout, he may wear the white on purple square knot on his Boy Scout uniform AND he may wear the medal on formal occassions.

Supposedly, there is a memo floating around somewhere that says that the world crest is required but the insignia guide doesn't support this.

How about religious emblem square knots rolling over?

Hypothetical: God and Family religious emblems are for fourth and fifth grade boys. A newly crossed-over Boy Scout earn his God and Family award during the spring of his fifth grade year. He is entitled to wear a religious emblem knot on his Boy Scout uniform. Does he have to take the knot off when he enters the sixth grade?

What if he earned the emblem a month earlier, while still a Webelos? Can he wear the knot on his Boy Scout uniform? For how long?

To be absolutely correct, one can wear the cub scout pin device on the religious square knot. If you then earn the BS version, you add the boy scout pin device to the knot. As an adult, I wear 4 service stars, yellow, green, red and blue. You were given wrong advice.

As I recall, the only things that are troop option are neckerchiefs. (Used to be also choice of cap, but I don't think there are different official options any more.) If the troop has "elected" to not require scout pants, that's wrong, too.(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

"(Used to be also choice of cap, but I don't think there are different official options any more.)"

There's the Baseball cap, the campaign hat, the field hat, the beret, and that funky flat fronted cap from the 70s. Also, it has been my understanding that a troop may design their own distinctive headgear.

As a member of TAC, I know where to send you for the Europe stuff that includes segments around the TAC activity (Termporary) patch. Check out the www.tac-bsa.org website for contact info. As one receiving from a feeder pack, a better solution of what is still left on may be to visit the gaining troop and check out the stuff. I don't think that a scouter would deliberately tell you the wrong thing, but maybe they were focusing unit stuff and not the universal uniform stuff.

" I don't think that a scouter would deliberately tell you the wrong thing,"

Depends on what you mean by "deliberate." I'm sure that he was deliberately told stuff but that the teller was ignorant of the actual rules.

I've lost count of the number of time that I've been told by supposedly knowledgeable Scouters that a temporary patch can only be worn for six month or that you have one year to complete a merit badge.

Out of curiosity I looked at TAC's web site and I was amazed at the size of the districts. It makes sense but I'm sure that the poor DEs spend most of their life travelling.

What about things like District Committee meetings? I'm sure that it is difficult to get someone from Turkey to attend a monthly meeting in Norway (maybe not if our favorite Uncle is footing the bill).

How about camporees? "Hey, you'd going to the Camporee in Morocco? It's only a three day trip to get there."