The Uniform Police and uniforming errors

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"America is the 50 states and the Territories or anyplace that two or three Marines gather on November 10th."

Can you explain that please? The two or three Marines part, that is.

I find it interesting that Jehovah's Witnesses will even join a patriotic organization whose aim (at least in the words of Baden-Powell) is to "improve the standard of [its members] citizenhood." I say this because Jehovah's Witnesses do not consider themselves citizens of any nation. At least that is my understanding. Perhaps someone could clarify.

Like it or not, some interpret one of the commandments (i.e. worshipping graven images) as not Pledging Allegiance or taking Oath's for anything other than God. Remember, he may be a jealous God so why take chances?

Sorry Ed, by your standards neither Germany nor France are countries in Europe nor anywhere else. Now by a strange coincidence there are countries in Europe named the Republic of France and the Federal Republic of Germany (English translations).

Now if you want to truncate the names of those countries to Germany and France then you have to be willing to truncate the United States of America to America.

I always thought that truncating "United States of America" left you with "United States", not "America"

"America" would be the truncated version of either "North America" or "South America". However, using it as such could leave confusion in the mind of the receiver of the message.

Of course, common usage has evolved so that "America" does in fact mean the United States of America. And this is viewed by the rest of the continent much the same way as using "my Troop."

Just my humble view.

Mark

" always thought that truncating "United States of America" left you with "United States", not "America" "

Why, is truncate the wrong word? If you use the same method to shorten "Republic of France" or "Pepople's Republic of China" you are left with "Republic" or "People's Republic."

"Republic" is the description of the type of country as is "United States"

As for "My Troop," shame on you for even thinking that.

Please understand that I participate in this discussion for entertainment purposes only...

Truncate means to abreviate or shorten. The proper way to shorten "United States of America" would be simply "United States". Your stance seems to indicate that to truncate means to shorten by elimination of the first part(s).

as to the "my" issue, I have (very respectfully, I think) expressed my disagreement with Bob on this issue, and will continue to refer to a Troop with which I am associated by using "my" or "ours".

Mark

Does the military use of "US" designate national or governmental affiliation? Or does it signify ownership (national or governmental)?

The French refer to their own nation as "la France," but they refer to ours as "Les Etates-Unis." Is it an inconsistency?

"Does the military use of "US" designate national or governmental affiliation?"

Don't you know nuttin'? "US" is us as in "US vs. THEM." There are squads of soldiers that run around battle fields at night marking the enemy's equipment with "THEM." If stuff wasn't marked, our guys wouldn't know who their guys were.

Don't try to make sense of what the military and naval forces do. The British call their navy "The Royal Navy" How the heck are you supposed to know who they belong to?

As for what the French call us . . . who cares?