To Wear or Not to Wear Merit Badge Sash?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hotdesk,

Please forgive the crassnes which seems to eventually raise it's ugly head no matter what the topic of a thread seems to be.

To refresh everyone on the original topic, You asked if the merit badge sash was appropriate to wear as part of a formal field uniform occassion such as a funeral. You said you were especially interested in what I had to say.

My response is yes, and while I am a big supporter of the value and effect of a complete uniform, I appreciate the fact that not every scout owns one. That being the case I continue to support the BSA view that a scout should wear as complete and correct a uniform as possible. That however does not give a unit or individual the right to modify the uniform, except for the parts approved for unit options. To require specific pants other than the official BSA uniform pants is not within a unit's, or individual's, authority.

I am sorry for the loss of your scouter. I apologize if anyone in this thread gave the impression that he was anything other than a fine person.

I share Eamonns opinion that participation in such an event should be a personal choice.

I would hope if anyone wishes to continue the discussion about whether or not we are a family of scouts would be respectfull enough of your situation to begin a new thread, and not use your situation to debate that topic.

With sypathies,

Bob White