Leader Patches

I am our Pack's Committee Chair - my question is regarding patches that adult leaders receive for attending Cub Scout functions. (i.e. Cub Scout Summer Camp). We leaders are given a patch, just like the boys, everytime we attend a special event. Where do we put these patches? Our Cub Scouts wear the red vests that hold the patches. I have a friend who is a leader in Girl Scouts and her leaders bought nice, thin jackets to display their patches on to outdoor and winter events. What is the Cub Scout policy on where leaders where patches they have received?

Thank You!

There are restrictions on what may be worn on the Official red jacket (wool jac-shirt or nylon windbreaker) but many do put all sorts of patches on them.

Most adults wear just one patch at a time in a patch holder on the right pocket of the uniform shirt and change patches on a regular basis.

I see nothing in the Insignia Guide to preclude an adult from wearing a red patch vest. I'd make my own rather than buy one at the Scout Shop. Also, I don't think that I'd wear a patch vest at any adult oriented function (roundtable, pow-wow, etc).

They could also buy an inexpensive blanket or a big piece of felt, sew the patches to it and display it. Another option that I've seen is to cut a head hole in the blanket it and wear it as a poncho on chilly nights while sitting around a campfire.

Welcome aboard.

All of these kind of patches are considered "temporary", and are only to be worn centered on the front of the right pocket of the uniform shirt, below the flap, for a short (determined by you) period of time (hence the term "temporary") - usually until you receive the next patch, or a more colorful patch, or a more meaningful-to-you patch. You can recycle old participation patches, if you choose...

Your pack should invest in a copy of the Cub Scout Leader Guide and the 2003-2005 Insignia Guide, both availabale at your local Scout Shop. They explain about these type of issues and also give pictures, like the patch placement guide (uniform inspection sheets)at the BSA Supply Division site:

http://www.scoutstuff.org/cgi/catalog

Most of mine end up in a drawer until it is time to make up a poster of what the Pack has done in the last year (like for Blue and Gold), then they get glued on, along with pictures and other stuff.

The boys have a red patch vest; there is no real equivalent for adult leaders.

The leader's red Woolrich shirt-jac has limitations on what size and type patches can be added to it.(Officially, anyway).

There is no real reason why you couldn't buy a red zippered sweatshirt (red is tghe preferred BSA color - doesn't have to be red) and sew on any and all patches you wished, and wear it to any and all Scouting events you wanted. You would avoid the dreaded uniform police that way, since it is not an "offical" uniform component.

Good Luck with Cub Scouting.

Hi ps2lady,

The Adults can wear a single temporary patch on the right hand shirt pocket, or on a non uniform jacket.

The scout uniform is a controlled trademark element of the BSA. There is a manual called the Insignia Guide which explains all the uniform regulations and the placement and use of the advancement and recognition devices of the BSA.

In order to be worn on the uniform a temporary badge must incorporate a few specific design elements. You will find all this info in the manual. Thanks for asking, and for wanting to wear a correct scouting uniform.

Bopb White

PS2Lady,

Welcome to the forum. Now that you know the official answer, as everyone was correct, one of your questions was, "Where do we put these patches?"

I have taken my scouting patches and sewn them on a big red wool blanket. It shows my scouting history as a youth and adult. I use these at campouts and often have kept it on the guest bedroom bed along with my green one from Army stuff. Conversation starters both.

I'm an "old girl scout", too - and have often lamented that BSA officially or unofficially does not encourage "patch jackets"

As the boys go into Boy Scouts, from Cubs - they drop the red vests and have NO place to display their patches (though they CAN wear them into boy Scouts - I've never seen even ONE boy do so - Red vests are considered to be a 'Cub' thing here)

The red vest was originally a local choice, picked up across the nation and adopted by BSA into the program officially.

In Boy Scouts, some moms make the boys a 'patch blanket' as someone above mentioned. I've also seen patches sewn on sleeping bag covers - but they get pretty dirty there.

Some older scouts and adults put patches on their red jac-shirts - but those are awfully expensive for a boy who will outgrow it shortly, and officially - there are limits as to what you can put on them.

i really don't see why someone ( US????) doesn't start a grass - roots trend toward patch jackets. I'd be willing to bet that BSA would not object....

As mentioned above with the blanket, and as a past girl scout with a completely covered jacket - I can attest that my jacket brought alot of conversation and interest in the girl scout program I was in. Why hide them in a bedroom???? Get them OUT THERE where they can provide a means for the boys to share their experiences & adventures with other scouts and non-scouts!

In addition, I have noticed that when we go somewhere in the summer, and boys are all wearing uniforms or troop t-shirts, we are 'recognised' and treated with a certain respect as scouts. If each troop had a jacket - say all of the same color - it would be a way to 'identify' as a group in cooler weather as a scouting group.

Sadly, I know that the majority of patches given to our boys are lost in drawers at home, and never used anywhere. Most could not even FIND their patches if they wanted to. It's a waste and a shame.

One of the ASMs in our brother troop has a red Woolrich chamois shirt he wears covered with patches. If you're familiar with the shirt, they're similar to the red wool BSA jackets (also made by Woolrich), but are cotton and cut more like a shirt. It's unofficial, but so is 90% of all winter outerwear that Scouts wear.

• 2 weeks later...

My son's pack has given up on the BSA red felt vests because they are too hot most of the time here in So. Calif and they don't wear very well either. You risk making all the patches pink by putting it in the washing machine. So the pack committee came up with an alternative by making available to all the boys a tan fisherman's vest made by Orvis. It comes in kid's sizes and can be easily "takin in" with a few stitches in the sides for small kids growing rapidly. There are pockets on the front to sew patches on and lots of space on the back. Since it is Boys Scout (or Webelos tan) color they can keep using it after they bridge into a troop. And all those pockets are useful for all that stuff they need at activities!

I just love the Fishing Vest idea.

What sort of price range are they in?

(I don't fish. Well I have but not for fish!! My Grandparents farm in Ireland had /has the river Boyne running through it.

A good part of the highway from Belfast to Dublin follows the river.

A truck load of Black Bush irish whiskey fell into the River.

You never seen so many "Fishermen.")

Eamonn

• 2 months later...

Stuff from Orvis can get pricey. there are other companies out there that make youth sized fishing vests for a fraction of the cost.

Find a good fly fishing store or catalog and ask about inexpensive youth vests. I know they are out there since I bought one for my nephew last year at a fly fishing show.

• 3 weeks later...

I am little confused. I have just returned to scouting with my Tiger son. When I was a Boy Scout I had a patch jacket. Actually I still have it, its just too small now. Anyway can Cub Scouts/Boy Scouts still wear patch jackets? What about adults? I was looking forward to my son starting his collection and growing my own.

Another question I have, assuming adults can wear patch jackets, can I wear my OA back patch even though I am not currently active in the OA.

Sorry for any oblivious etiquette questions I may be asking. I just have been out of the loop for quite a while.

Thanks in advance.

Bob White and some of the other wise posters are 100% on the money. They are correct in pointing out the Insignia Guide and saying that wearing the uniform in the correct way is the only way to go.

What you do with your patches, as long as it is not part of the uniform or worn as part of the uniform is your choice. Many of the great Campfire Leaders do have a Campfire blanket which they of course wear to campfires. I have a pal who has them all on a bathrobe. Of course the bathrobe is not part of his uniform any more then a non- uniform jacket is part of the uniform. When he is in uniform he doesn't wear the bathrobe.

As to the OA patch? My thinking and I might be wrong is that if you wear the OA patch on a uniform you should be a paid up active member of the Lodge. That after all is the message that you are sending to those who see the patch. If you have a patch that you sew on a blanket it really isn't sending a message to anyone other then look at the nice patch that I have on my blanket.

As has been mentioned there is the Red Vest which I have only seen worn by Cub Scouts.

There is no such thing as the Uniform Police. As an ex-District Commissioner I was active in trying to get all the members of the district to wear the uniform correctly. To be very honest I was more worried about the program that was being delivered then I was about a patch in the wrong place. Correct and proper uniforming is a goal that we all need to set and work to wards. We are not going to reach the goal with heavy handed tactics or intimidation. A quiet word will go a long way. A good example will go even further.

Enjoy the program have fun.

Eamonn

Bob White and some of the other wise posters are 100% on the money. They are correct in pointing out the Insignia Guide and saying that wearing the uniform in the correct way is the only way to go.

What you do with your patches, as long as it is not part of the uniform or worn as part of the uniform is your choice. Many of the great Campfire Leaders do have a Campfire blanket which they of course wear to campfires. I have a pal who has them all on a bathrobe. Of course the bathrobe is not part of his uniform any more then a non- uniform jacket is part of the uniform. When he is in uniform he doesn't wear the bathrobe.

As to the OA patch? My thinking and I might be wrong is that if you wear the OA patch on a uniform you should be a paid up active member of the Lodge. That after all is the message that you are sending to those who see the patch. If you have a patch that you sew on a blanket it really isn't sending a message to anyone other then look at the nice patch that I have on my blanket.

As has been mentioned there is the Red Vest which I have only seen worn by Cub Scouts.

There is no such thing as the Uniform Police. As an ex-District Commissioner I was active in trying to get all the members of the district to wear the uniform correctly. To be very honest I was more worried about the program that was being delivered then I was about a patch in the wrong place. Correct and proper uniforming is a goal that we all need to set and work to wards. We are not going to reach the goal with heavy handed tactics or intimidation. A quiet word will go a long way. A good example will go even further.

Enjoy the program have fun.

Eamonn

People who have been in Scouting for years just can't wear all the patches they have accumulated, even with blankets and red jackets. Eventually that realization sets in and it becomes time to start a nice notebook collection using archival plastic pages with different sized pockets. The collection becomes its own resource of interest and pride.