Confusion over the uniform option for Venturing

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding regarding proper use of uniform, rank and award use in the Venturing program. Much of which centers around the crews ability to wear the official uniform or create their own.

What is being misunderstood the most is that although the crew can determine a unique uniform for itself it cannot alter the insignia policies of the BSA. Being allowed to choose your own uniform piece does not let you change the purpose, use, or display of official BSA awards or insignias. If you look in the Venturing Leader Manual on page 336 you will find that "Existing placement policies related to the BSA uniforms shall apply to the green venturing shirt.

The uniform you are allowed to create does not replace the official Venturing Field uniform but is more akin to a troop activity uniform. BSA awards, official rank patches, office pathes, etc. are not approved for wear on an activity uniform. A crew may design it's own crew emblem to wear on it's own shirt or the official shirt but it must be approved by the local council before it is ordered. (see page 331 of the Venturing Leader Manual)

The knots allowable for wear on a youth in Venturing are the same as the knots worn by a youth in a troop. The Eagle Award medal is approved for wear on the official Venturing uniform for formal occassions only. (See page 8)

For further evidence of this policy go to page 30 of the Insignia Guide for 2003-2005 (#33066D)

You will notice that for wearing Venturing emblems and awards you are to follow the Boy Scout guidelines AND use the official Venturing shirt.

I hope this helps.

Bob White

Okay Bob, how about a definitive answer to the question of the day. "May a Venturer wear the AOL on his uniform?"

I did find numerous web sites that claim that Venturers may wear the Eagle knot and AOL knot but that in counter-indicated by the Insignia Guide.

I find no definitive uniform regulation that either supports or denies the wearing of the AOL on the official Venturing uniform shirt.

Although the only Cub Scout or Boy Scout rank mentioned in the Venturing Leader Manual that I find is the Eagle rank. on the other hand the Insignia Guide 2003-2005 says to follow the regulations for the Boy Scout field uniform for the placement of awards on the Venturing uniform. The Arrow of light patch on the boy Scout Uniform is worn as an award not a rank badge and signifies that the wearer has earned the highest award of Cub Scouting. That could imply that the arrow of light patch (not the knot) could be worn by a youth member of Venturing.

When in doubt I side with the scout. I see no harm in the youth wearing the patch below the left shirt pocket of the official Venturing uniform. I do not find any BSA documentation saying otherwise.

Bob White

Bob White, you must have read my mind. I just had a discussion about this with the other leader today. AOL is not much of an issue for us, most of the crew is currently female. But you have helped a LOT! One thing I'm still not clear about, though. As I understand it, we need council approval for any crew emblem we design, regardless of where we wear it. Please correct me if I'm wrong. But here is the question, if we design our own unique emblem and council approves, can we wear it on the official uniform shirt?

Edited part: Just read your message again and I think I get it now. The crew is still discussing designs and some of the suggestions are, well...I think there may be a copyright problem with sponge Bob. Are there any guidelines for design or do we wait for the council to rule?(This message has been edited by packsaddle)