Question about BSA Knots

Right now i'm 18 years old and i was wondering if I'm a allowed to wear the Arrow of Light Knot and when i get my board of review for eagle scout, after all that gets taken care of my eagle scout knot. Reason why i'm asking this is because i thought that only Venture/explorer crews were the only ones to weare there youth emblems till they were 21 and i thought all boy scouts were suppsoe to chnage over when they hit 18. I remember seeing something similar on a web site but i can't find it :(. A Asistent District Commis. told me thisand i know i remember seeing it somewhere. She said that 18-21 are still considered "youth" so therefore they wear the same "youth" awards. So if you can get me an answer that would be very nice.

Glad to have you at the campfire, Jimmy. Hope you brought your own camp stool and cup.

I think you've got it right, but it depends on how you are registered. Eighteen- to 21-years-olds in Boy Scouts are considered adults. If you are now registered as an adult leader with your troop, you may wear the adult knots. If you are registered as a youth member of a venture crew, go with they youth regs which say the actual AOL badge goes below the left pocket.

Good luck on the Eagle BOR.

(PS -- the pronoun "I" should be capitalized.)

(PPS -- take the high road with the ADC and don't rub it in that you were right about the knots.)

Youth are the only persons authorized to wear the Arrow of Light award (below the left pocket) or the Eagle rank emblem (on the left pocket). Adult Scouters may not wear these youth insignia. Registered adults may wear the embroidered square knot if they earned the AOL award or Eagle rank as a youth.

An individual over age 18 and under age 21 may be registered as a youth on a Venturing crew. Such an individual is a youth and wears the youth insignia.

An individual over age 18 may be registered as an adult Scouter and may hold an adult leader position. Such an individual is an adult and wears the embroidered knots.

I wasn't sure about Venturers either, FOG, but the section on Venturing uniforming says to "See the Boy Scout section for guidelines" regarding wearing Boy Scout advancement by Venturers. When you go to that section, the AOL is listed as a Boy Scout advancement insignia and says to wear it under the left pocket. There is some way to recognize the AOL on every other uniform, so it makes sense that Venturers can wear it too.

Members of a Venturing Crew are still Boy Scouts. They are members of a crew, not a troop, but they are still Boy Scouts. The 18th birthday does not necessarily mean a person is considered an adult. It is the registered position of the individual that determines whether one is "adult" or "youth". A person up to age 21, registered in a Venturing crew, is a youth, and wears youth insignia. Registered adults wear adult insignia.

Our crew chose, in their by-laws, to wear the square knots on their Spruce Green uniform shirts. Eagle, AOL, Silver, Religious. Looks pretty sharp. I wouldn't have minded a bit if a kid wanted to wear his Eagle badge until he turned 21, but the by-law committee has spoken!

"Members of a Venturing Crew are still Boy Scouts. They are members of a crew, not a troop, but they are still Boy Scouts."

Sorry but they aren't Boy Scouts, they are Venturers. Venturing has its own methods and advancement program.

TrailPounder, by-laws are all well and good but unit policy cannot contradict BSA policy.

Thanx guys. I'm not goning "rub" it in the ADC face because she was told by another lady because when the ADC went to get the knots for her 2 kids who turned 18 that other lady told her how there still suppose to still where the Youth Emblems.

Speaking of youth stuff another question. REligiousawards as a youth i know you can wear your youth Knoit but can you wear your medals still when you turn 18 to like Blue and Gold, Dinners, COHs, and etc?

Technically, you shouldn't wear both a knot and the medal for the same award at the same time. But strictly adhering to that rule would require two uniforms, one with the knots for everyday wear and one without the knots that you wear with the medals for formal occasions. Not many folks are going to that trouble and expense.