BSA Snorkeling Award Patch

dsteele's solution is absolutely perfect! It not only solves the 'fashion' problem but it also provides incentive to collect enough merit badges to require a sash (and incidentally show everyone the mile swim, etc. patches). Great solution!

• 2 months later...

It is difficult for boys to get recognition of these special awards like snorkeling, mile swim, and even BSA Lifeguard, with such a narrow rule for wearing the patches. The boys I know also think (rightly) it is too much to ask them to wear a BSA patch on a swim suit they selected on their own... I mean not an official BSA swim suit. Seems like it is a kinda of a dirty trick for the old guys at BSA to force a patch onto "civilian" swimsuits since they couldn't muster the power to get them to wear an official BSA swimsuit! Seems like I remember wearing an official green BSA swimsuit when I was a Scout in 1957 but it might be just my imagination at work, or something our troop worked up along with beret hats. If anybody else knows of an official swimsuit from that era I would be interested in hearing about it. So how can the boys display their hard earned (almost drowned getting them) patches? A very narrow rule is going to get a varied response with some inventive adaptations. I have even seen Scouts with otherwise inspection-perfect uniforms wearing the BSA Lifeguard patch above the right pocket where the Jamboree patch should go! My son put his on the back of his MB sash and feels that is way more in line with "official" and he already had a Jamboree patch anyway.