• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that tartan, and I've also seen a note somewhere or other - maybe on the Clan McLaren website? - stating that the BSA has a registered tartan, too, but I can't find it on the Scottish government registered tartan website or elsewhere. Anybody ever seen it or know where to point me?

National has little to say about uniform bottoms.

As pointed out earlier, boys were jeans and soccer shorts with their shirts. Kilts are no different in my opinion.

I wear the kilt because it is comfortable and nothing more.

That Cub Scout tartan looks suspiciously like the weebs neckerchief.

"National has little to say about uniform bottoms."

BSA has said all that needs to be said about the uniform, including pants and bottoms. They define what the uniform is. Neither jeans, soccer shorts, kilts, nor pajama bottoms are part of the uniform. Folks will do what they do of course, but that doesn't make what they wear a uniform.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@BartHumphries from the few people I have talked to that have mentioned what they wear under a kilt I think that would create a violation of YP should the wearer slip and fall on a wet dining hall floor, not too mention being perhaps a little embarrassing. Yet you suggest that if someone were to temper their wardrobe slightly to prevent such a problem that makes them somehow less manly. These kind of statements are the kind of things that I find among the most bothersome on both this forum and around the campfire. I have to wonder if you feel the same way about female Venturers, too.

Just because I cannot find any sample images online of any men wearing any type of skort doesn't necessarily mean that skorts are inherently female. When I first saw a girl wearing a skort (which wasn't actually until about 6th grade, although perhaps people wore them before that and I just never paid much attention) I thought they were an amazing invention solving the "modesty problem" while still allowing for what was ostensibly a skirt.

And, just because most clan tartans and kilts were "invented" during the Vestiarium Scoticum scam doesn't mean that they can't still be a historically valid and proper modern method of displaying clan affiliation.

As to girls in Venturing, I think a woman's place is the kitchen, the office, the library, the parlor, the warehouse, it's wherever the heck they want it to be, actually. It's not my place to dictate their place, you know. Back when I was a youth, I always thought it was a shame that my sisters didn't get to do the cool things that I was doing as a Scout. I personally think that mixed-gender Venture crews for older youth is a great idea, since those youth are going to be spending all their free time with each other anyway. You could look at gender-separated youth meetings as a chance for people to cool down, to not get so serious. You could look at gender-mixed youth meetings as a chance for youth to do more than just moon about gazing into each other's eyes, a chance to actually work together and get to better know how other people really act when the pressure is on. I think older youth (16+) should be doing things that're more conducive to building actual working relationships. I mean, we all know what sort of activities they're more likely to be engaged in if we don't give them more constructive things to work on and plan together. You know the saying about idle hands and the devil. That's all my personal opinion, anyway, now that you've asked me to go way off on this tangent. ;)

Now, just in case there's someone that didn't know what a skort was, if you can find a better image to present so that they can learn what I'm talking about, please feel free to link it. I still think that the image that I found is kind of funny, in context.