I have been known to wear a utilikilt in olive green at resident camp with the Boy Scouts, to much controversy with the Cub parents. Comfortable and functional. Yes it is fun to talk about too. I wore it to roundtable one night and the old codgers had a fit. I asked what the difference between it and jeans was. too close to looking like an official uniform is what they said.

It is comfortable and functional, I will continue to wear one.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remember to wear something underneath it. As a friend from the 105th Glasgow Scout Troop once said "99% of the time we have to wear something underneath as the women might get a wee bit offended, and... all the men would be jealous."

I don't think we'll be seeing an official kilt, since even the women are all wearing pants now. Wearing something open like that can present a somewhat challenging situation when going up stairs in front of someone who's not right on your tail, walking up a hill ahead of people, heck there are a lot of situations where a kilt shows a little bit more than the rest of us probably want to see.

My boys wear shorts under their kilts.

As to the comments about the kilts not being official uniform parts, I must say that blue jeans aren't either, and at least 50% of our troop's boys wear blue jeans to all events - Courts of Honor included. Apparently what you wear on your bottom half doesn't seem to "count," so why not a kilt? As someone mentioned earlier, at least a kilt looks more formal than blue jeans - even clean, decent ones.

And I have an official skirt to wear with my uniform shirt, but I guess as skirts are no longer sold, my skirt is no longer official and I shouldn't wear it. I'll wear it anyway, because it looks much nicer and more formal than those crummy pants with the saggy pockets and the zippers that break the clean line of the pants, and because I already own the skirt and can't afford to keep buying new uniforms every time the national office thinks we could do something more cool. I have four kids to buy for - BSA is lucky I spent the money on an adult uniform at all!

Sue,

Once uniform, always uniform. So that my 1950s vintage Den Mother's dress I bought my wife is still official and can be worn. Just as all those Webelos and CS leaders are wearing the green and tan numbers and trained strips are in an official vintage August 2008- April 2009 uniform.

RuddBaron worte "While on the subject of things Scottish, I have "discovered" that the garter flashes worn with the hose (knee socks) that are worn while wearing the kilt work very well and look nice with BSA knee socks. I understand green ones used to be part of the old uniform. I suggest red to match the stripe. Again, not official, but very practical and with historical precedent."

When scout shorts and knee socks were still a part of the uniform, BSA Garters and Tabs, as they were properly known were sold by supply division. Gold (yellow)Tabs for ware with Blue Cub Scout Shorts, Green Tabs with the Boy Scout Khaki Shirt and Shorts and Red for ware with the Explorer (now Venturing)Green shirt and Khaki Scout Shorts. Cub Scout Leaders wore Khaki with Gold (yellow) Tabs.

Today's shoulder loops are an evolution from the Garters and Tabs of the 50's, 60's and into the 70's. Look at some of the Norman Rockwell paintings.

Bring back knee socks as part of the uniform.

Hot,

We may need to bring back the garters as well. My inlaws bought me a dozen knee socks before they were discontinued, and of the 4 pair I've worn, they do not stay up like the pair I have form the 90s still. heck my original pair still stay up, but they are "well loved" and not really presentable at meetings, only camping. ;)

While it's a running joke, I know of only one guy who really goes "Regimental." (And don't ask me how I know that -- it's a mental image I prefer not to revisit.) Most gentlemen wear dark-colored shorts under their kilts so as to be less obvious in a breeze. Both my boys wear athletic compression short. Personally, I have a pair of Black Watch boxers I like to wear. Our clan was one of the six original regiments, so we're authorized to wear the Government Plaid.

While going regimental may sound "liberating" it's not all it's cracked up to be. I had a conversation once with a Highland gentleman who attended a military school as a boy. For parade every day he had to wear a kilt in the regimental fashion. He said he spent the entire first term "bandaged up in gauze and Vasaline," if you're following the point here. Heavy-weight wool can be quite rough.

Heck, to me it's uncomfortable just walking around with your sporan banging around there all day.

I know the Medal of Honor doesn't fit in the same category as a Scot's tartan, but to a certain degree wearing something usually indicates some kind of honoring of it. Even the blue-jean generation needed it's jeans to be correct. Riding a Harley with dress pants just seems to be a bit offensive. :)

I think a BSA tartan would be a great idea, it harkens back to the original intent of they will know who we are by the color we wear.

Although I can wear the Melville tartan, I never have except as a dress tie, and every time I put on a piece of clothing with a tartan pattern, I wonder who's family this is from. Stuart is one of the more common, but there are others. Sometimes simply remembering is a strong form of honoring.

Stosh

sue.....kinda defeats the freedom of a kilt doesn't it. then why not just wear shorts. My son wants one but the good ones are too expensive for a boy.

My kilt has a modesty system. If your worried about the guy behind you on the stairs or hill looking up your kilt you have never wore one. they are longer than that.