Those @!!%%$$$ Uniform Shorts

Good idea, but...

This troop is only a few months old and is fundraising like crazy. We sold popcorn after the sale was already over due to the grace of our local council, who shared some of the 'leftovers' but it was a tough sale as the market had been saturated already. We've had a garage sale and will have another soon. But our bottom line is still not into 4 figures yet, our chartering organization is very non-profit (read: goodhearted but BROKE) and many if not most of the families are also pretty broke. We are really scrambling to try to get enough funds for summer camp this year.

This is what you end up with when you have a homeschoolers troop - homeschoolers tend to be pretty broke, at least the ones I met have, as they are usually scraping by on one or maybe one-and-a-half incomes so that someone can be home with the kids most of the time. We have a little help from a very small corporation (mine) which has agreed to provide matching funds for the troop's fundraising efforts through April but even with that it's going to be tight for the first year or so. These kids don't have the sleeping bags, lanterns and tents that most of you scouters would take for granted, and neither does the troop. Being a GS leader of several years, I bring a fair amount of that kind of junk to the table (Girl Scout troops do not typically own their equipment like BS troops, but GS troop leaders tend to accumulate quite a bit over the years!) And we do have parents in the military with access to MWR equipment, which will help. But it doesn't get a uniform on our scout!

The boy in question has participated in our fundraisers so far but I'm not sure how much is in his account. But the killer is this: assuming catalog prices are valid (which I don't actually know) he has to buy TWO shirts and TWO pants to get made-to-fit. Total cost thus approaches or maybe exceeds $200 - this is before the young man buys council insignia, his handbook or anything else. Gasp! And the family has TWO sons in scouting, so they will already be writing a $100 check to the scout shop if they can't find what they need at thrift stores.

This kind of situation that does make me sigh for the Girl Scouts. No, they don't look nearly as spiffy as a general rule, because uniforms are a) optional and b) have a zillion different combinations that are all OK. And I do love to see my son in his full Scout uniform, he looks fantastic, and I love the leveling effect of the uniform where all boys are the same. So it isn't that I'm a uniform opponent at all.

But in the GS, I've never had to say goodbye to a girl because she couldn't afford the uniform. I HAVE seen a prospective cub leave a rally crying when Grandma- raising him while parents are ???whereever - was told a uniform was required and it with the dues and handbook would be around $100. They left immediately, no one even suggested there were any other options. On the other hand, on several occasions where I've had a GS family in a real pinch, it has not handicapped me greatly to discreetly find the $25 or so dollars necessary to at least get a vest so the girl has a place for her badges and signs, so she feels like a REAL scout. Everyone recognizes a girl scout in her vest and membership pins, as long as the rest of her is pretty neatly dressed. The only folks that I know for sure MUST have the GS uniform are the professional Scouts and council trainers - and at least they let the trainers buy them at cost.

Anyway, I'd love to help this scout and could afford some of this expense. But $200 plus is just out of my range, personally, the other parents are all suffering from sticker shock at the uniform shop and camp fees, and so I just can't figure out how to get this kid dressed. Time is of the essence too, as we have two uniform-required outings planned, one in April (torchbearer in a parade) and one in May (Memorial Day ceremony).

Any ideas?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SagerScout,

Do you know exactly what size he needs?

Maybe we can all be on the lookout for at least a shirt for him in our local areas. Scouts and Scouters are known for being a generous and helpful bunch.

Wow, sounds like you guys have a lot on you. I can only imagine how hard it is to start a new troop. There was talk of that where I am, and some people didn't see that it would require a lot of work. I was fortunate to find an established troop for my son that is really good. My son has the opposite problem of the boy in your troop -- the smallest scout pants are a little big on him, but we know that will change one day.

Sager,

You can often find Scout Shirts on ebay. Some are rather large men's sizes.

Have you tried taking a Scout Shirt to a fabric shop to see if they have material the same color? If you can find a quilt shop nearby they may have a bigger selection of different shades of brown. Then use a standard men's shirt pattern. There are some sewers who can take an existing shirt and figure out the pattern without taking the shirt apart.

Seems like the hardest part would be to get the material to match and then to get the strip that says "Boy Scouts of America" to go over the pocket. I know you can buy the flag patch for the sleeve from BSA.

To replicate the official uniform of the Boy Scouts of America is a Trademark violation and is not only not in accordance with the BSA uniform regulations but is illegal and can be prosecuted in a civil court.

Is that really the example you want to set to the scouts you serve?

Bob White

To my knowledge, no troop can mandate a uniform be purchased by a Scout. A Scout is to be in uniform to the best of his ability. If a family cannot afford the uniform, then it seems to me that the Scout doesn't have to wear one. Of course, for the reasons you stated, he may well want a uniform. If that is the case, I'm a little short on answers.

What person or persons would join a soccer team, or a baseball team or a football team, or the police force or even the United Parcel Service without expecting to wear a uniform. Do you really believe that after being seen for over 90 years that anyone joins scouting and then says "What, you mean they wear uniforms?"

Everyone knows scouting program includes a uniform. It's just that not everyone folows the rules. That's why we need scouting.

Bob White

We are talking about a young man who wants to be in uniform for a parade and ceremony. A young man who it seems that BSA does not MAKE a uniform to fit. I looked at the special order and also realized you have to order 2 shirts the same size or 2 pants the same size. That is extremely expensive and most people don't need 2 shirts the same size.

So what can they do? Have the boy in the middle of the parade with no uniform? Tell him not to participate?

Girl Scouts are also very protective of their brand name but they do sell the official color fabric and patterns so the uniforms can be made by someone locally. You can only purchase the insignia at a approved shop and I believe only if you are a registered leader of some sort.

The best thing I can think of is checking the second hand stores and ebay. Anybody out there want to "sponsor" this young man and buy him the uniforms? I'm sure Sagerscout would be glad to get in touch with you.

Isn't part of scouting about learning to work with what you have? Learning to solve problems and "think outside the box?

Sager, have you contacted the District or Council about other options -- do they have a fund to help Scouts in need? Do they know of anyone who might have an "experienced" shirt? It would probably be worth the call.

I tend to agree (particularly in the Suburbs of D.C.). However, even here, not every family has the funds available. This should not be a reason to keep anyone out of Scouting. If I'm not mistaken, a BSA policy was created to that end.

sctmom,

Sorry, I did not see the post about the boy who could not find a uniform that fits. My understanding is that national supply can have custom sized uniforms made. You can reach them through the Ph. number on the scout catalog.

Bob

Bob White - Thank you for your reply, and as I have said earlier I understand and accept the BSA position that the uniform is required. We just are having a problem in our dirt poor startup troop with this one young man. The issue is that to get one custom-made uniform you must buy 2 the same size, at double the cost. Since even the normal cost is a problem for this family, this isn't looking good. I'm going to try ebay as soon as I find out what size I really need, and our troop committee chair is going to call council and see what she can come up with....

I just brought up the girl scouts because they do handle uniforming differently. It's optional, and there are lots of ways to get one including making your own at slightly lower cost than buying. The desirable up-side is that cost doesn't keep girls out. The down-side is that they don't look as nice all the time, they are less visible except at cookie time, and I agree that the uniform requirement builds a certain esprit de corps.

Thanks for your posting.

julia

SagerScout, Let us know what size and maybe some one who reads this will be able to help. Looking at the catalog, there are some pretty big off the rack sizes. Kudos for you for helping to get this boy in a uniform. Any time kids are not the "average" size they battle fitting in anyway. I'm sure a uniform will mean a lot to this boy.

OK, I found out half of the size info. We're seeking a 6x boy scout shirt. This is assuming the sizes are close to T-shirt sizes. The boy was ill and didn't make Scouts tonight, but the TCC is also in his 4H organization and knows that she ordered him a 6x tshirt and it worked out for him. Don't know about pants, but I think under the circumstances we may be able to get at least a one-time dispensation for him to wear non-regulation olive-green pants for the parade.

Troop committee chair has talked to council four times. Local council doesn't have a needy scout fund but does have some sponsors that might help out, but no one has put pen to checkbook yet. After I post here I'll cruise to Ebay as has been suggested by others, and see what I can shake up. I'll also start the shirt request as a new thread hoping someone can help.

Thanks for all your suggestions, more are welcome.

Julia

No, he's an adult size. And I think he really is that big. His shoe size is a 15, and he's easily six-four, and hefty puts it pretty mildly. His younger brother is also somewhat heavy, but less so, and he's not going to have problems getting uniformed. He is extremely intelligent, an avid ham radio operator, and a very pleasant and interesting young man. But standing out for his size, as he must have done from a very early age, he's not felt welcome in scouting before. However, he's been active in 4H and one of his 4H buddies is in our troop, so he has gotten interested in trying it.

Since I'm pretty overweight myself, and I allowed it to limit my life in some ways before I got older and smarter, I'm happy to see this kid decide NOT to let it limit him. And as someone else observed, he might not need this size forever if he's active in scouting (although that hasn't worked on ME!)

Julia