assistant scout master

Let's see . . . what was I gonna say? Oh yeah, wear the uniform.

Take advantage of the goodwill that Scouting has built up around the world. You'll probably meet a few ex-scouts or current scouters while you're at it. Only once did the uniform not help in a situation (a Civil War museum wouldn't let us in to use the john unless we paid the $5 admission charge each)

Wear the uniform when doing approved fundraising as well. The uniform is what separates the boys from all the other kids in the neighborhood. I think that Scouts have always worn the uniform while fundraising, I know that I did in 1965.

I haven't seen a backlash against Scouting in my area (DC). In fact, every couple years we have a big Scout gathering on the Mall and I've never seen a homosexual protester there and we have more than our share of homosexuals.

There are ways to find uniforms without paying through the nose. Uniform exchanges have been suggested. I know that some charter organizations in poor areas buy their kids' uniforms. Another option is for the kids to go to Kohl's or the local surplus store and buy some OD trousers. However, whatever the kids wear, they need to have pride in it.

We do the eBay thing as well as the thrift stores but at times it is hard to find the uniforms in the sizes needed. Luckily our troop purchased new uniforms for the troop last year but we still only wear the shirt unless it is a COH or council event where the full uniform is required.