We're planning on a trip with out Troop to Gettysburg in early July. We're estimating about 40 boys and about 12 adults. We're going to be tening at a campground in nearby Maryland and spending one-full-day in the park. We don't want to "HAMMER" them with history but to have fun as well. Have any of you done this trip and do you have any specific suggestions of how we should spend our day? We're taking along a friend who is a Civil War Re-enactor & history teacher as a guide. We just don't want to bore the boys to death. They range in age from 11 through 15. Any ideas?

Our troop does this trip quite about once a year. We camp at a campground outside of Gettysburg.

There is a program designed for scouts. Info is available at the information center.

Briefly, there are a set of patches the scouts can earn by doing three different activities. Two are hikes following a guide book, one of the Union lines and one of the Confederate lines, the third activity is to take the bus to the Eisenhower farm and tour.

I would recommend viewing the electric map of the battle before touring the battle field as it will give everyone a perspective of what took place.

Be prepared for hot humid weather at that time of year. Also there is usually a reinactment around the 4th of July which causes the battlefield to be crowded.

It is a great trip, enjoy!

I've been to Gettysburg once, but never with Boy Scouts. The suggestion to see the electric map is a good one. This is a private display put on for profit. When I first saw the advertisements for the electric map I thought, "Oh great - a further degradation of hallowed ground, etc. etc. ..." But the map show gives the best overall perspective, particularly for those who may know very little about this event. Gettysburg was the bloodiest single battle ever to take place in North America, and probably the Americas.

I was on a Gettysburg trip with my troop and venture crew this past summer. After that experience i dont think that 1 day is nearly enough to anything worthwhile at Gettysburg (unless you plan to come back next year, which belive me, you will)

I would reccomend getting the scout program from the local council there in gettysburg (cant remember the name, maybe someone can help me out)

The hikes are really great and very informative, without being lecturey. For your one day trip i would suggest you definitely see the electric map, because as corney as it sounds, its a really great presentation and it helps you understand what happened there. Also be sure you get around to the Little Round Top / Devils Den Area, i think that is the most interesting part of the battlefield. Even if its just for a change of scenery. LOL, as important as they are to the battle i cant tell pickets charge from the wheatfield from any other field.

Well, theres my advice, hope it helps you and your troop out.