new trader questions

My son is a new trader. My question is: how do you decide what to trade? Example: He likes Council Patches. Do you try to get one from each state, or is there another collection method that's better for newbies? Also, storage: what seems to work best for you all? We use a 3 ring binder right now with sleeves. I know BSA makes patch collection books, but I want him to be able to start small then work up to that as he sees if he likes this or not. Any advice is appreciated.

Please private message me if you like, so I don't take up forum space with such a basic question.

Thanks, Mollie

Hi Mollie

I am not a patch collector. I have a great many that live in tupperware boxes. The boxes live in an antique blanket box that I paid too much for at an auction. The top of the box has a printer, a fax and an elephant plant. So I don't look at the patches very often.

Some years back I got the tupperware boxes out and my son went through them. He looked at me and said "Hey Dad when you die can I have your patches?"

Eamonn

Welcome to the campfire, Mollie. You and little Duke can help yourselves to the cocoa and marshmallows.

Probably the two largest areas of patch collecting are council shoulder strips (CSPs) and Order of the Arrow flaps. I think both are popular because you can collect them on many different levels. As a beginning collector, your son may want to collect current CSPs from places he has visited. (When I was a Scout, we would go on vacation and I'd try to find the local scout shop.) He can also trade with scouts from other areas on a penpal-like basis. You will sometimes see folks advertise to trade patches one for one here. Nowdays, your local scout shop may carry a selection of CSPs from other councils, too. BSA publishes a guide to current CSPs which is available at the scout shop. Most of the current CSPs cost only $4 or $5.

As he gets older, he may want to specialize. In addition to the current issue CSPs, many people try to collect older patches. I collect CSPs from all the councils in my home state. Since CSPs were first issued in the early 70's, there have been about 120 CSPs issued by the councils here. I have probably 90 of them. Some of the more rare ones are worth $100-$200.

Collecting OA flaps has similar ins and outs. Of course the easiest collection is that of patches for events he has been to.

From there, things get really esoteric. Some people collect Jamboree patches. Mint patches from the first Jamboree can cost hundreds of dollars. Some collect international memorabilia.

As far as the storage goes, notebooks and sleeves is probably the best way to go. Make sure you get archival quality sleeves. The cheap vinyl one can bleed oil over time and ruin the patches.

Good luck and have fun!

What neat stories. I love the idea of collecting patches from vacations and such. I would have never thought of that. My son is in the OA. We moved to another state last year and his former scoutmaster is still a good friend of ours. When he heard my son was in OA he sent him several flaps for OA as a gift. Some are very beautiful just like the CSP's. The artwork involved is amazing.

My son's former scoutmaster has designed CSP's for different things and he sends my son his designs. It's neat.

Keep the good ideas coming. By the way, the cocoa and marshmallow's are great .

Thanks,

Mollie

• 4 months later...

Hi, I am a patch collector up here in Mass. as TwocubDad said, the most common collectors items are CSPs and Lodge flaps. I happen to be working on collecting the history of my Lodge (309) in patches. we have had almost 100 issues over the years. One important thing to keep in mind when trading is to make new friends. I know many people that are like "patch business men." They tend to lose sight of the true aim of patch collecting/swapping, which is to meet Scouts from other parts of the country/state/council or whatever. While many older patches have great monetary value,(some early editions from my lodge are worth well into the hundreds) try not to get too caught up in that either. Certainly don't spend more than you want to on a patch...most likely it will come up somewhere again. Good luck and happy trading.

PS: If your son would like one of my CSPs or Lodge flaps, I am willing to trade one for one.

Hi, I am a patch collector up here in Mass. as TwocubDad said, the most common collectors items are CSPs and Lodge flaps. I happen to be working on collecting the history of my Lodge (309) in patches. we have had almost 100 issues over the years. One important thing to keep in mind when trading is to make new friends. I know many people that are like "patch business men." They tend to lose sight of the true aim of patch collecting/swapping, which is to meet Scouts from other parts of the country/state/council or whatever. While many older patches have great monetary value,(some early editions from my lodge are worth well into the hundreds) try not to get too caught up in that either. Certainly don't spend more than you want to on a patch...most likely it will come up somewhere again. Good luck and happy trading.

PS: If your son would like one of my CSPs or Lodge flaps, I am willing to trade one for one.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, welcome from someone on the Central CA Coast (really about 1/2 way between LA & SF)

If your son would like to trade CSP or OA flaps, Council is Los Padres, Lodge is Chumash.

Please feel free to e-mail @ ljohnson_ag@charter.net

Fun hobby (I've only been trading for about 20 years). Enjoy and make friends. I would love to trade 2 for 2 of anything he's interested in.

Yours In Scouting,

Lynn

Hi MollieDuke,

In a past life I collected anything BSA related, council shoulder patches included. The most fun came from the things already mentioned, i.e. searching out council offices while traveling, making trades via mail and at scout events all the while getting to know the people you are trading with, etc. Collecting CSP's is IMHO the best patch for beginning collectors, but there's some things he should know (if he doesn't already.)

Every council that issues CSP's has a regular issue that is easy to obtain. Collecting this patch is perfect for the young collector. Typically that involves an easy 1:1 trade and both parties walk away feeling good.

In addition to the standard CSP, many councils are issuing special CSP's for things like anniversaries, FOS contributions, special events, etc., etc., etc., etc, etc. Get the picture? Unless you have unlimited funds, unlimited time, and in many cases "special" connections you can never hope to have a complete collection of these type CSP's.

If your son is interested in completing a "set," encourage him to collect the standard issue CSP's. It's been a while since I've counted, but I think there are some 400-500 different councils issuing one. If by some miracle (seriously) he completes such a set he can then branch into older CSP's and even those from defunct councils.

My last suggestion is that you do have some agreement that he won't miss out on regular activities at scouting events because of "patch trading fever." It's easy to catch and can be rather consuming.

• 6 months later...

Good advice, all.

I would add, try to keep a record of from whom you got each patch and when. The best part of trading is not the patches but the people you meet. Through trading by mail, I've made good friends across the USA and in several other countries, too.

• 2 months later...

He can collect anything he likes, in a nutshell.

People here have already listed Order of the Arrow lodge flaps and Council Shoulder Patches. To get an "entire set" (the definition of which is open to debate) of either is extremely tough and tremendously expensive. It will take decades to do. Some of your ideas, like one from each state, may be a good goal. Or maybe from all the councils in your state.

Besides Order of the Arrow flaps and Council Shoulder Patches, perhaps he has a favorite summer camp. If the camp's patch changes year to year, he could try to get the entire set. It really goes to whatever interests him.

As a staff member at Lake of Isles Scout Reservation, that is what I started collecting: patches, neckerchiefs, and slides from the past. After going to a National Jamboree, and getting my uncle's merit badge sash from the 1930's, I started collecting National Jamboree memorabilia and merit badges.

Hopefully the meeting people is the best part.

When it comes to storage, most people use trading card clear pages and notebook binders. However, as someone mentioned, the pages should NOT be made of Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC), commonly called Vinyl. These do ooze an oil and can ruin your patches. Plastic tupperware tubs are fine, though not really a display method. From what I have been told, the BSA supply patch collection book is not a good choice, as they use pages made of PVC. But that is second-hand information. Good pages can be bought at any good sports card hobby shop. Obviously, you will want big enough pockets, so don't buy the 9-pockets-to-a-page stuff.

jack messick