non official uniforms?

I need some feedback here please. I am a Scoutmaster for a new Troop and we are in the process of trying to get uniforms for our boys. We have basically been given a large quantity of non official scout shirts. These shirts are khaki in color just slightly darker than the official shirt. Otherwise the only difference is plain buttons and no BSA nametape which we could have made for a small sum. One added bonus is however that the shirts are all cotton broadcloth much more comfortable than the polyester blend. As far as I know in the old days, the only constant was the style and basic color and patch placement. Like I said these shirts are just slightly darker khaki than our present uniforms. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Also if there are any "official" regulations regarding this matter.

I fell that as a "starter", these shirts are alright. However, the first problem is that by definition, the word "uniform" means all the same. And while I know that all of your Scouts will Look alike in the Troop - the first time you attend a District event or campout/outing/exercise with another troop, your Scouts will feel "different" regardless of what you say, what the Other Scout leaders of the other units say, etc. They will fell different and that is not good. Lord William Baden Powell wanted to create a "Level playing field" for the very rich and very poor boys he started with and uniforms was the answer.

I hope that you can, in the near future, get some donations from business organizations and individuals to buy new or used shirts, pants, etc., used uniforms form other Troops, and I know that BSA National can and has helped other units that were financially strapped get a good, uniformed start. Best of luck - you deserve it.

• 2 weeks later...

Uniforms. This tool shows the public who we are and what we think of ourselves. First BSA notes in the front of the uniform and insignia guide the policy regarding uniforms. I have seen units develope their own uniform policy; class 'a', class 'b', blue jeans, etc. I believe that there is only one uniform and if we promote anything else it is the same as saying let us make our own rules for behavior and advancement or we can change what we want. I was saddened a few years back when I became reinvolved with scouting to see and hear the public response to Scouts because of the poor image they gave. I've heard several comments about those slobs. Do everyone a service do your best not to stray from BSA guide lines and get everyone into correct uniform. Parents that have children in organized sports know that uniform cost can be high and that most organized sports will not allow a boy to play out of uniform. I have seen first hand that most boys will act different when in uniform if they understand the importance. Good luck