Merit Badge Counselor - Dad and Son

I have served the District Advancement Comm. several years (primarily dealing with Merit Badge Counselors), and as a Merit Badge Counselor for some specific Merit Badges for the District.

I always get questions regarding the policy on relatives wanting to be a counselor for Scouts. Often the Scout office refers these Adults to me.

There is some really good resources for New Counselors which answers these questions.... and I will answer what ? they have and provide links or in-person training as needed, but what I think is an important factor that may get overlooked is "no more, no less"....

When I asked a potential MBC what they think this means, and I get a blank stare I know I need to explain the "do, discuss, write, explain, etc... words used in the MB requirements, explicitly until they get the point.

I also may hit on Adult Association as an important element of Merit Badges. Too much of a known adult, or relatives (or unit adults), won't fully serve the Scout.

But there are counselors with unique experiences or collections of skills/education that make "using the same MB for all Scouts" richer, but are still held to the same requirements (relationship/skills/education or not), and they may either be related or within the unit.

I have counseled my son (and usually several more Scouts) in areas like Shooting sports, swimming, cycling, electronics, and Life saving.

I also think the MB counselor process is not a one-time only process. MB Counselors have to have current YPT (2 years), stay registered with the district, and periodically when re-upping correct/provide up to date contact info.

The SM or designated Unit Merit Badge Advancement co-coordinator should review the list by the District (note approving Merit Badge Counselors is a District process) and encourage Scouts to select from a variety of Counselors as well as recommend several counselors for the Scout to contact for any badge the Scout is interested in.