As SM I presented 27 Eagle Badges all of which had my name on their application. Of those 27 I think I participated in 5 or 6 projects and that was all I did was be a worker bee. If the SM is contacting the one benefiting from the project and is there telling the boy what he should be doing then this isn't the Scout's Eagle Project and the benefactor shouldn't sign the approval.

Judging the leadership of the candidate is not the benefactor's responsibility. Unless they have prior Scouting experience, most folks would be totally off-base in judging what an Eagle candidate should and should not be doing. OldScout's situation is a good example. Most folks out there in the community have an expectation that the SM is responsible for the Scouts and would see it as wholly appropriate for the SM to be the primary point of contact.

The beneficiary's role is more of that of the consumer of the Eagle project. It is their responsibility to see that the specifications in the proposed project are satisfactory to them and that the completed project meets those specifications.

Maybe an over bearing SM taking over the project and an obedient Scout doing what he's told?

I had the same problem with a father that pushed and pushed his son on his project to the point where it became obvious that it was dad who earned the medal, the son was only along for the ride!