Schiff,

I don't see a problem with fundraising and doing MBs IF everyone knows it is a fundraiser. Also you got to get some value from the event.

When my OA chapter did the seminar we did wanted to do a few things besides lettign folks have hte opportunity to earn Indian Lore.

1) Raise money for chapter regalia as we were a new chapter.

2) Raise awareness of the OA and the fact we were a new chapter.

3) Get folks interested in Native American Dance and Singing.

We charged $20 or $25 for the day, sorry don't remember the exact amount, and that included lunch, and 3 crafts. Trust me we tried to keep the cost low as possible, and didn't have a large profit after expenses.

You're going to laff, but the seminar coinsided with a shooting competition at the location. Someone at the competition asked if we were selling plates, and we had enough left over make more money for the chapter selling leftover food, than we did at the seminar.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skipper (sorry aint using your initials ;) ),

No worries. Again I have mixed emotions on these types of events b/c I have seen a few outstanding ones, but I have also seen one, and heard a bunch of "pencil whipping," ones. Also seen some camps like that.

I was fortunate in that I had some great MBCs at summer camp growing up. I admit I did have one pecil whipping MBC, but he was not a staffer, but one the troop used! Needless to say that after the first group saw him, he wasn't used again.

I also had a few MBCs that used BP's approach: advancement should come as naturally as a tan to paraphrase him. In one older scout program I did, we covered 3 or four MBs in the backcountry without realizing it until after camp was over and the SM had a talk about what we did. We were workign hard, but having fun.

One of the ASMs, who was our resident aquatics MBC sicne he was a QM and did it all, took a bunch of us motorboating one weekend, he worked our tails off, but we had a blast. Without realizing it, we were working on Motorboating MB.