How does one "Skate" to Eagle

I've never had to NOT sign after a SMC but if I did it would be followed up by a letter to the Scout and a copy to the CC.

Why would there ever be a reason to NOT sign off on a SMC if one was held? The requirement is to participate in one. Nothing more, nothing less. And does the SMC have to be done prior to the BOR?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does the SMC have to be done prior to the BOR?

Yes.

The purposes of the board of review include the objective: "To make sure the Scout has done what he was supposed to do for the rank."

Also, "When a boy satisfactorily completes his board of review for a rank, tenure for his next rank begins immediately." It doesn't say 'unless he has another requirement to complete.'

And "After a Scout has completed all requirements for [ranks], he appears before a board of review." [emphasis added]

I'm with Twocubdad on how to handle Scoutmaster conferences by the letter of the law - but the same practical result can be achieved in any number of ways.

Or that Boards of Review can be held for reasons other than advancement review.

BOR's can be held when a scout is having issues, there is perceived trouble in the troop, etc. BSA recommends BORs even when a scout is not advancing.