ESLP Guidelines for Nonprofits

Does anyone have such a document?

I've been asked to help with a local charter school to coordinate Eagle projects. It's a new school and has lots of opportunities for some good projects. Unfortunately, the administration doesn't seem to "get it".

I'd particularly like something which describes how the school should work with scouts, that is, ensuring that the Scout takes the lead and is truely running the project. My concern is the school sees the Scouts as free labor with the school controlling everything and the boys there just to help.

If no one has such a document, what would you suggest including in one?

What if you just showed them the workbook? That certainly specifies the level of planning and leadership that are required of the scout. Just looking at one, perhaps even a completed one from a scout who would be willing to share his, it should be clear that the scout should be much more than a source of labor.

If the school doesn't want to partner with a Scout on an Eagle project, it can still direct Scouts in carrying out regular ordinary non-Eagle service projects.

I know they're not as exciting, but just as important.

And shouldn't the Life Scout be the one talking with the school about its needs and what he can do for them?

I did re-read the workbook, but I'm really looking for something more targeted to the beneficiary of the project. And I did show a couple completed workbooks to the folks who were very impressed. But I'm looking for a 1-2 page leave behind.

Short -- there is no particular Scout in this situation. The school approached us to encourage Scouts to consider the school for projects. Their approach would be to for the facilities committee to develop a number of projects -- including all the plans, specifications and budgets -- so when a Scout asks, they just hand them the file. And without some training, I know the school folks will totally take over the implementation of the project, too.

I'm just trying to help them understand the BSA's expectations for an ESLP.(This message has been edited by Twocubdad)