Any interest in a web-based scout advancement/progress management system?

Scoutgroove; If you can find a copy, look at the now defunct "Rank and File"; I still have it, but it no longer is viable except for a few areas, as they opted to quit fighting to get things approved with National. But it had/has many of the things already noted, including the ability to export to Excel and Word. Was really quite flexible, and overall a good program, or at least so I felt. I lost my records unfortunately when I had a hard drive issue. Thought I had backed it up, but did not. That was one of the areas in which it was hard to use, and I tended to not make the effort due to its difficulty, or maybe simply incompatibility with my system for some reason.

Scoutgroove,

Greetings!

Eagle92 has commented already about ScoutNET2000. As I've been told many times, when ScoutNET2000 was purchase by national BSA, it wasn't the best database. Ten years ago, ScoutNET did maintain data on non advancement recognition/certification items, but disregarded other important items. That debate can be argued for a while.

As I've read and seen, about 2001-2002 National BSA opened up a bid for commercial databases to be compatible and approved by ScoutNET managers.

Regardless of how thorough your database may become, it should be compatible with national BSA. So ScoutNET compatibility is a major goal.

Troopmaster has a few various versions, but one of our local units enjoys their online storage and recovery. For one of our local units, the SM and all the ASMs can view a Scouts advancement status.

The ScoutSoft database is compatible for both IBM-PC and MAC.

So, comments and desires that I've heard from fellow leaders is an online database, down-loadable to a IPhone application, which protects privacy, matches ScoutNET and interfaces with both PC and MAC.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

I saw a web-based program the other day that looks fairly interesting: http://www.troopwebhost.com/. Seems to have many of the same Troopmaster-like functions built into it (including online advancement and rechartering) and provides functions of a troop website. I made note of it because we use Troopmaster and pay a provider for website services, and this other product would probably cut our annual expenditures for those in half.

I am also a programmer. I in fact, work for a school district, doing mainly HR, Certification, and Payroll. We are on an ancient, cobol based system, which is stable and very functional. We are looking to migrate to a new system, probably a web based operation, so I have a particular appreciation for what you are saying.

I, personally would not like a web based system, and I can sum it up in one word. Connectivity. Our troop has a great building, but there is no phone or internet, nor is there a reliable wireless network in range. Likewise, I would probaly not be able to access the system at work (during my free time) due to security policies on our network. These conditions to which I am subject are not likely to change in the next decade. It would be of almost no value to me.

For TM, we use their dot.net service where TM stores our database, and we access the information via FTP. This works for me because we can back up the database to a local source, save the file to a flash drive, and upload it at the scout hut where we have no internet access (or also at the workplace, as I cannot access an FTP due to security features). Though this means I must upload and restore the file before every meeting, it is neither a difficult nor timely process, and is just a part of my routine.

Of course, being able to save advanement files and upload to Scoutnet is very convenient. Of the 45ish troops in the district, I could count on one hand the troops which update their advancement directly to Scoutnet. Considering the sometimes unreliable entry taking place at the local office, it is reassuring to know that our troop has the most files on record in the area.

Troopmaster has all the features I need. Would it be nice to know all the data elements and have something like "Crystal Reports" to pull out custom formatted information? Sure. Do I need it? No. Do I really use the reports features from TM? You betcha! If I have a spare 15 minutes to look over some things, I may veiw 3 or 4 reports a day. But remember, I am an HR programmer, so I already think in those terms.

Buffalo - Thanks for the candid reply! I want some realistic scenarios around why people would, or would not, want another more web-based option. If I get as many "I'd like an alternative" posts as "No thanks", I'll have to decide which way I want to go.

I have a couple of questions though: What about if you had an alternate way to get your troop's data other than directly through a website (like, for example on your iPhone/Blackberry/Android phone), that you could later sync up with the website when you get connectivity again (home, work, etc). Would that resolve your concerns there? The reason I ask is because I think that a decent mobile app would be absolutely crucial, since most leaders are not likely to be sitting at a computer when they need information on-the-fly.

Do you find that TM is easy to use? Or is it simply what you've become accustomed to? It just seems to be so confusing to new users. Mostly what I hear is essentially "Yeah, I use it, but I put up with it because there is no real solid alternative out there".

I'd love to hear more thoughts about what you think systems like TM are missing or could improve on.

----------

GKlose - Thanks for mentioning that link. That is an interesting concept. There are some really decent web-based alternatives out there, but not many of them seem to have much traction. Why do you think that is?

From a personal perspective, I like TM. Any product has a learning curve; some are more steep than others (remember that a steep means quick). Having used Packmaster, I found Troopmaster easy to follow. Do I like all the features? No. I do wish the POC section was better organized, or could be customized.

I have little interest in setting up stuff through a Blackberry or iPhone. And, if I want information quick, sitting at the computer during a meeting will usually deliver what I need in seconds, and it sure is easier to read on a computer screen than a phone.

Is this product for everyone? No, but it works for me so well that I would probably not consider even looking at another product. Scoutgroove, I am not trying to be negative, only reinforcing that TM has what we need. We have 20 years of records on TM, with almost 1000 entries dating back to January 1990. It would not be practical for us to attempt to transfer this information. Others may certainly feel differently.

Buffalo Skipper - Again, thank you so much for your perspective. I find it extremely valuable, and I appreciate how candid you are! I completely understand your point about connectivity and the pain that would be associated with trying to transfer all of your old records to a new system.