Cit in Comm, charitable org, Girl Scouts???

My son asked me if he could donate his time to the Girl Scouts for his Citizenship in the Community merit badge. My first answer was to ask the MBC. Knowing that this is the MBC first go around at Cit in the Comm I also know she is going to ask my opinion.

The requirement states -

a. Choose a charitable organization outside of Scouting that interests you and brings people in your community together to work for the good of your community.

The real question lies within the word Scouting. Is the BSA refering to itself or itself and Girl Scouts?

It's a Merit Badge, so yep the MBC has the word that counts...but my own son asked this question too (Sister and mom are GS).

I said.... I think when they ask you to look outside of Scouting, that it means to extend your search to something outside your familiar comfort zone. IMO Girl Scouting, while not Boy Scouting would still be in a Scouts comfort zone.

My son's MBC said he would have accepted it.

"The real question lies within the word Scouting. Is the BSA refering to itself or itself and Girl Scouts? "

The Girl Scouts aren't part of Scouting. They are part of Guiding, a different, tho related, Movement.

My cousin did his Eagle Project at a Girl Scout camp.

Actually Girl Scouts are indeed Scouts. The "Scouts" in their name is a clue.

If they were Guides they would be called Girl Guides.

GSUSA is in a separate world organization from BSA that is single sex (instead of co-ed) and includes Girl Guides, but that does not make girls in GSUSA Guides.

BSA - member of WOSM - World Organization of the Scout Movement

GSUSA - member of WAGGGS - World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts

obviously a question for the MBC, but being a leader for both... if I had a young man come up to me to do community service for his MB I would tell him "thank you for your offer, but the girls take care of their own community service projects. I think you need to find a local organization that has nothing to do with scouts" and then I'd be nice and give him a couple of suggestions of organizations he could work with.

From somewhere in my GS life I remember reading that boys 10 years and older may not participate in or attend any GS event. I pretty sure that was a Council rule.

So, no. Scouts (of the Boy type) generally may not volunteer with GSUSA.

Now, there is no prohibition on your son from organizing something and inviting Girl Scouts to participate or help out as event staff/leaders.

"Actually Girl Scouts are indeed Scouts. The "Scouts" in their name is a clue.

"If they were Guides they would be called Girl Guides. "

Actually, Girl Scouts of the USA are part of the world-wide Guide movement, NOT the Scout movement.

"GSUSA - member of WAGGGS - World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts"

WAGGGS is so named because SOME Girl Guide associations decided to call themselves 'girl scouts' and not 'girl guides'. But they STILL are part of the world guide movement. Their symbol is the trefoil NOT the fleur-de-lis.

Regarding trefoils and the BSA...

From the new Scout handbook, 12th edition, page 31:

"The Scout badge is shaped like the north point on an old compass. The design is also known as a trefoil (a flower with three leaves) or a fleur-di-lis (the French name for an iris flower). It is the basic shape of the badges worn by Scouts in other countries, too."

Never seen any BSA doc reference a trefoil before. Could this be an early indication that BSA and GS are merging? :-) :-)

Not to continue to hijack this, but the worldwide Girl Guide / Girl Scout Movement is a youth movement for girls created by B-P, and his sister. The Boy Scout Movement is a youth movement, also created by B-P, that was originally just for boys, but has branched out to be co-ed. Both Worldwide organizations, and Movements, are considered to be a part of the worldwide overall Scouting Movement.

GSUSA considers itself to be part of the Girl Scout Movement.

I really do not see how calling a Girl Scout a Guide makes her any less a Scout.

As to Lincoln's question - The requirement also states that the Scout needs the approval of his merit badge counselor, and that the Scout must contact the organization to find out what he, and other youth, can do to help.

It is completely up to the MBC. Why would the MBC, new or old, consult with the Scout's parents on what to accept for MB requirements? They are supposed to know their stuff for any badge they are a counselor for. If a MBC asked me, first I would be a bit leery as to the effectiveness of said counselor, and I would tell them that it was THEIR CALL AS COUNSELOR.

While Nike's Girl Scout Council might put restrictions on boys/men serving as volunteers, not all do.

The MBC should make sure the Scout contacts the organization (council) itself (as stated in the requirement), and not just his sisters troop leader, to find out what is allowed/needed.

Personally, there are many charitable organizations out there, and so many ways to help, if I was the MBC I would encourage the Scout to get involved in something new to him. Also, since he will only be committing to 8 hours of service, an event of some kind might work better. Perhaps, if he is set on volunteering with the Girl Scouts, the council could steer him toward a local Bronze, Silver, or Gold project that could use some help.

Remember, the requirement is to find an organization that INTERESTS the Scout. Not one that takes the least amount of trouble.